Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Rick3410

Carburetors that don't leak

Rick3410

I'm getting ready for a 7016 restoration this winter and looking for a good carb solution. I rebuilt my carb last spring but it leaks when the engine is sitting. I put in an in line valve to solve the problem but I would like to set this up so it doesn't leak. My mechanic told me I could replace the carb lower body and that would fix the problem.

I see many comments that the carbs just leak and just us a in-line valve and it will be fine. Well, new carbs don't leak. I don't see puddles under any of them on the lots (and yes, they do have gas in them).

I guess what I'm looking for is the proper solution. I'd like to fix this right so I won't have to play around with it for a few years.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Rick3410

Everything I read is very hit and miss. When I restore this tractor I don't want paint damage from leaking gas. If I put a new carb on it, will it cure the problem or am I dealing with a design problem?

rokon2813

My opinion is it is very difficult to make a 30 40 or 50 year old carb not leak, but if I spent the money and bought a brand new one, it better not leak or it's going back for sure.

I also think they are not "designed" to leak, a new one definitely should not

huffy

Sometimes they leak because the emulsion tube doesn't seat properly. Putting a little o-ring gasket in there stops it. There was a lengthy thread about this a few months back when I was trying to fix the same problem on my B10.

goatfarmer
quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

Everything I read is very hit and miss. When I restore this tractor I don't want paint damage from leaking gas. If I put a new carb on it, will it cure the problem or am I dealing with a design problem?

id="quote">
id="quote">Years ago, I had the same problem with my 3410. The carb leaked when sitting. I bought a NEW carb from the dealer, certain this $125.00 carb would fix the problem.It also leaked.....wah

Rick3410

If the new carbs leak as well, I guess it's a design flaw. I've owned many vehicles, of all types, including boat motors, many lawn mowers, tractors, autos etc. and none of the carburetors leaked. Many of the engines I owned were B&S and I don't remember them leaking either. These carbs are used on many models and I doubt they would have enjoyed the sales popularity they had with this type of problem. Is there another fix for this leaking or an alternative carburetor system that can be used?

John_in_Oxford
quote:Originally posted by Rick3410

If the new carbs leak as well, I guess it's a design flaw. I've owned many vehicles, of all types, including boat motors, many lawn mowers, tractors, autos etc. and none of the carburetors leaked. Many of the engines I owned were B&S and I don't remember them leaking either. These carbs are used on many models and I doubt they would have enjoyed the sales popularity they had with this type of problem. Is there another fix for this leaking or an alternative carburetor system that can be used?

id="quote">
id="quote">You raise a valid concern, IMO. I used the B$S fix - P/N 391413 - works good for my carb.But it seems every durned one does it (leak). Csrbs off newer engines don't adapt easily - even if you got past the updraft/sidedraft issue, the throttle shaft also is 90 degrees wrong.Enter full-size tractors. I'm thinking back to the older full-size, but small A/Cs - seems something off a model G might do the trick - updraft and all that ( 4 cylinder, but only 12-14 hp or so).The updraft design is excellent for these engines - keeps float bowl away from exhaust, hard to flood and keep an engine flooded, etc.Hmmm, I think I'll look around some...Oh, point is, I've never seen a properly rebuilt A/C carb leak.

DanD

The carburetor on my 7016 doesn't leak at all. Besides the suggestions above, put in a new needle and seat and make sure the float is not leaking, getting filled with gas and sinking.

Rick3410

Dan

I had the carb rebuild this past spring by a local mower service provider. He even did some sort of pressure test on it. It still leaked. I brought it back and he reworked it again but still the same problem. He indicated he was very familiar with the carb and that I should go with a new lower carb body. I believe I've covered everything you mentioned.

timflury

I carefully ground the threads off an old emulsion tube. I removed the emulsion tube and used some plain old toothpaste and lapped the seat with the modified tube.

No more leaks.

search "emulsion"

Briggs does sell a little o-ring just for this. Just be careful when reassembling the needle and seat. Back out the needle a few turns, or even remove it so you don't bottom that out and ruin the needle valve.

GrincheyOne

I had a carb from a '65 BIG TEN rebuilt by the local mower shop, who replaced the upper body along with the emulsion tube (which I ruined by trying to take the carb apart myself). I can't wait until I try it on my

'69 LL 10 HP,to see if it leaks.

Wayne