Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs vs Kohler in a Allis 312H

jsarro

I just picked up a 312H for a future restoration project.

It has no motor.

What are the pros and cons of the B&S vs. Kohler?

What modifications if any are needed to change over to a B&S?

How many HP would work best with this hydro?

Thanks

Based on the hood of your 312H your original motor was likely a

BREAKERLESS Kohler K301.

If you use a points ignition Kohler you will need a different key switch.

I would get as much HP as you can fit, I would not go down to 10 HP

I just spoke with PO and he said he has a K series 12HP Kohler that he was going to put in that tractor for sale.

Is a 12 HP K-series Kohler the appropriate motor?

He also said it has a starter, but the generator is on the flywheel.

Would I be better off bumping the HP to run the hydro or is the 12HP sufficient.

quote:Originally posted by jsarro

I just spoke with PO and he said he has a K series 12HP Kohler that he was going to put in that tractor for sale.Is a 12 HP K-series Kohler the appropriate motor?He also said it has a starter, but the generator is on the flywheel.Would I be better off bumping the HP to run the hydro or is the 12HP sufficient.

id="quote">
id="quote">the original motor was a 12HP K-series Kohler. Yes, I believe it is very appropriately sized. My 312H does a very good job mowing and blowing and has plenty of power. Now, if you had a 14 or 16 immediately available for cheap... then hey, do it... but I wouldn't worry too much about it since it seems you've found a 12 already... the questions are: how much $ and what condition is it in? and how would you know for sure what condition is it in since it is probably not running right now not being in a tractor... A 16 will likely be expensive. 12s are more common than 14s around here... Yes the generator in these is not a generator per se... it is a stator which generates AC current which is rectified by the rectifier producing DC (two wires coming out from under the flywheel). there is no starter generator you may be thinking of.the starter is more like an automotive starter.There is a troubleshooting guide to Kohler electrics... you may find it useful to get an idea of what you are dealing with:http://simpletractors.com/service/kohler_electrics.htm

quote:Originally posted by jsarro

I just spoke with PO and he said he has a K series 12HP Kohler that he was going to put in that tractor for sale.Is a 12 HP K-series Kohler the appropriate motor?He also said it has a starter, but the generator is on the flywheel.Would I be better off bumping the HP to run the hydro or is the 12HP sufficient.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yup, K301S Kohler 12hp. You dont want a K301As though. The A blocks use a different pan that has no external mounting flanges12hp is sufficient to run a 42" deck or 36" blower on a hydro tractor.. It will even run a 48" deck or 42" blower, though at a much slower ground speed to keep from overloading the engine from heavy grass or snow.

I gathered up these four spec numbers that Allis purchased away from Simplicity. I am taking a stab that one of these is what you are looking for.

K301-47303 ALLIS CHALMERS

K301-47391 ALLIS CHALMERS

K301-47403 ALLIS CHALMERS

K301-47475 ALLIS CHALMERS

Sammiefish thanks for all the insight and info on these Kohler engines.

I could probably get the motor for $100.00 possibly $75.00. He is asking $150.00 but will negotiate on his price.

The motor was in another tractor recently that I have first hand knowledge of. I did not see it running, but it was in a friends tractor temporarily for a mere few weeks. A Case 444, it was the wrong motor though so the seller pulled it out of the Case.

The seller says it runs well, he said I may need to clean the points. Something I did not understand though, he said the points kept going out on the 12 HP motor because a child kept turning the key on the ignition without starting it.

I would plan on going through the motor when I restore this tractor.

I don't need the motor right away as I have 10 projects ahead of this one. I am doing the research now so I know when to jump on the right motor for the future.

Thanks

Jack; the Kohlers use a point and coil ignition like an automotive engine. If the points were in the closed position when the kid turned the key on there would be electrical current flow through the points and coil causing heat generation and points or coil or both to fail...Dave

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

Jack; the Kohlers use a point and coil ignition like an automotive engine. If the points were in the closed position when the kid turned the key on there would be electrical current flow through the points and coil causing heat generation and points or coil or both to fail...Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">OK Dave Thanks, that is exactly what the seller said.I just did not understand it because the B & S are different points set up, and I have never fouled up those points by turning a key, and not starting.Makes sense now.

If you had access to a Kohler Command, they are an excellent engine for these machines. I have a CH20 in my 310, plenty of extra power for any job, plus much smoother and quieter than any of the single cylinders. However certainly not a direct swap out by any means, but well worth the work.

318H3.jpg

318H3.jpg.512d2ab8a9ff2d132236b3116a0d5d63.jpg

quote:Originally posted by maxtorman1234

If you had access to a Kohler Command, they are an excellent engine for these machines. I have a CH20 in my 310, plenty of extra power for any job, plus much smoother and quieter than any of the single cylinders. However certainly not a direct swap out by any means, but well worth the work.

318H3.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, I will keep that in mind when looking around.Awesome looking tractor!dOdWhat kind of money will an engine like that run?

Thanks, I was lucky on that engine, picked it up for $100 a couple years ago, however hadn't run for a while since it was taken off a small hydraulic backhoe and had the wrong crank, I had to disassemble it and swap out the crank, In my area it's not too uncommon to find the Commands with low hours removed from equipment and sold for a few hundred.