Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Alternative engine sources

jrmorrill

I'm interested in upgrading my Landlord 2010 with a 16hp Briggs. Aside from early 70's Simplicity tractors where else could I find one of these old work horses?

Thanks,

Jason

Gosh, where to start: Sears Craftsman, Monkey Wards, Gravely, MTD, White, Farm Fleet - any of the "generic brands" sold by ag & lawn stores, Lincoln generator-welders...

Gilson used the cast iron 16hp Briggs. A lot of generator did as well but most had tapered shafts. Probably be hard to find a Craftsman that ever had one.

Next on the list for me is an MTD 990. They built 12, 14, 16 hp B&S variants. Here's the list of "brands" I've gathered up (so far) that it was sold under:

Agway

Columbia

Concord

Fairlawn

Dayton

Farm King

JC Penney

Kingwood

Ranch King

Tuff Turf

Turf-Trac

Unico

White

Wizard

Western Auto

Whew!

As far as Craftsman - dunno - was given the choice by Sears between a 16 hp Briggs and 16 hp Kohler, and popped the extra for Kohler. Was it a twin then? Don't remember.

Tapered shaft? It wouldn't get used on my Sovereign - YMMV.

Point is, there's a WHOLE LOT of brands that used them. Which is what the OP is looking to find out.

Now, who the actual manufacturer is...?

14-16hp briggs cast iron sources I have commonly seen at local auctions:

early 70's Gilson/ Montgomery wards - pans on these are part of tractor frame

Early 70's Sears SS15 & SS14, tractors Blue and white in color

Large Homelite trash pumps engines are bright red

Early 70's Mayrath grain augers original engines are a minty green color( real bad color clash with AC orange:D) replacements are commonly copper colored

Also Briggs had pressure washers mounted on a two wheel cart. That is where I got one of my 16's at a farm consignment auction.

IF you don't have the need for a front PTO, the ones with tapered shafts for generators seem to be about 1/2 the cost of ones with 1" keyed shafts, based on my experience...

I've seen pulleys and collars designed for tapered shafts on the Net. Has anyone tried using them for a front PTO pulley?