Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not so good day in the field... FIXED sickle

simpli-dragon

Well I got my ag lugs on to solve my traction issue so today I headed out to the field to cut some grass and weeds with the sickle mower. Once I got things figured out it was going great! I couldn't believe how much I was laying down and some of it was taller than my hat while sitting on the tractor!

Then just as I was thinking I how well this is going to work out... BREAK! :o

Disengaged everything and look down to see that the plate that attaches the arm to the cutter bar had come loose. On closer inspection I found that the cutter bar had actually broke beneath one of the sections. I headed back to the trailer. Once there I found that the bearings on the sickle crankshaft, that the pulley is on, were toast! I had checked things over for tightness and greased everything several times before and in between some test cutting that I had done. That was how I found out I need some different tires.

I tore everything down and found the shaft on the crankshaft was nasty. It looked like it had been running with a destructed bearing long before I got it. There were pieces of needles in the housing and that must have been why it felt tight.

So now I need a new sickle mower crank shaft... Does anyone have an extra... lol 8C

sickle mowers were not meant to run at full throttle.

basically just fast enough so tractor does not stall

I was only running about 1/3rd throttle, which was lower than the sickle operators manual setup suggested. It looks like the shaft bearings had damage long before I got to it. All new bearings and two rod ends on the way just need to do something about the shaft.

Killer... PM sent ;)

Well I was able to get a new shaft machined and welded into the crank arm and heat treated. While I had it apart I went through everything and now it runs much quieter and smoother than before. I had to weld up the broken cutter bar and drill and tap the attachment arm holes.

It sure does lay down some grass and weeds too! Now I need to go get some hay picked up before tonight's rain ^