Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Engine Replacement..Wiring

F100Panel

I actually have 2, 20HP Duetz Ultimas ( Never found anything different from the Sunstars than the color..) One Engine finally gave out. Found a Kohler OHV V 22HP CH22QS to put in. The "V"s are the newer version of the horizontally oppossed twins? Anywho it looks like a simple bolt in... Now...Wiring it.. It looks like the voltage regulator and all sorts of stuff is in the CH22 ( from an Ariens ) and all that same stuff appears to be frame mounted on the Duetz. My Duetz take out engine had 2 plugs. 1 single wire plug for the clutch/the new engine has 2 wire plug, not hard to figure that one, 1 has to be a ground and the Duetz was self grounding.. The other plug was THREE wire going to the old motor. The new replacement engine has a 6 wire plug on the motor likely using the voltage regulator and an extra wire going to the starter to trip the starter mounted solenoid.. Anybody run across this and figure it out?

The engine would not have anything to do with clutch wiring unless a clutch came with you CH engine. From memory you will need a magneto grounding signal, start signal, signal for for carb solenoid (hot for "start and run"), and a battery teminal for regulator. You need to connect the battery direct to the starter solenoid and your systen power souce will come from that stud also, You can then use the tractor starter relay to give the new starter solenoid (spade connection) a signal to motor the starter. Off the top of muy head, I can't think of anymore. You shouldn't have to mess with anything else.

Will look for Carb Solenoid..Didn't notice one but will pull the tin and look.. While ther tin is of I'll clean out any mouse debris on the cooling fins... I'm kinda hoping to get the amp meter working again...Think your wiring idea will atain that?

AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by F100Panel

I'm kinda hoping to get the amp meter working again...Think your wiring idea will atain that?AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!

id="quote">
id="quote">Don't waste your money on an ametter as it is like feeding hay to a dead horse. A voltmeter tells you the condition of your electricl system and thst's what you should have. Isn't a voltmeter std on the Sunstar anyway?

I believe I got the electric Clutch thing figured out..

I believe I have the starter figured out/THANKS BLT

No carb solenoid....scratch that worry..

BLT correct, Sunstars had volt meters not amp gauges...

Looking over the old engine I think I conquered the 3 wire simplicity plug.

One wire from the Stator to charge

1 wire from the oil pressure Idiot Light

1 wire to kill the engine/ground out the spark...

Gotta find those 3 on the new engine, eliminate the rest. Take off all the unused electrical on the new engine and run the voltage regulator ect. that is tractor mounted on the Sunstar

You all think I'm on the right track?sm00

The voltage regulator on the new engine is probably solid state

is the one on the sunstar the same ?

if it is not a solid state one on the sunstar , I would eliminate that one

this is my opinion only and may not work for you

Well Ron, to be honest small engines are not in my skill set.... I will look at what you advise... It makes sense. If I can figure out the wiring for that I will heed your advice and give it a go. The only advantage my background lends me to these things is recognizing the Sunstars are built like tanks and properly maintained will outlast me.....:) THANK YOU!