Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 9020

cey146

Hello knowledgeable persons.... I, am not so all knowing about mechanics and would appreciate your feedback. I have just bought a 1973 Simplicity 9020, ID# 1690072 Serial# 001214, and am trying to learn all I can about the tractor. I have a man working on it for me. He has installed plugs, points, condenser, changed filters, etc. After doing all of this maintenance, it ran great...........for about 3 hours. It then starting sputtering, shaking, and generally running bad. Back to the garage, and he thinks he has found the problem in the plunger mechanism, (part # 160-0262) which opens and closes the points, according to what he has explained to me. The engine is an Onan 19.5 h.p. model# CCKB-MS/2733J. Serial # 1274 900283. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem, and if the plunger was the solution. Thanks for your input!

I have had problems with the condensors on my tractors.Might want to check that first.I know that it is new but could be as simple as a loose screw holding the condesor in place.Right now I am working on getting a solid state ignition system from Cummins.Hope this will work better. Bob

Yes, the plunger (and the plunger bushing) wear out. There's a seal you can get to 'seal' it (NOT cheap, BUT cheaper than a new plunger & bushing). This is more noticable as the engine ages as blowby is looking for an easy way out of the engine & this is a good spot. Did your guy check the oil breather? Does he see oil film in the points box?

Thanks for the good responses and suggestions. The inside of the box was a little oily. The hex screws that tighten down the box, one was just a little loose. He applied some RTV on the bottom of the box, before tightening it back down. I'm certain the condensor screws are tight, but will double check. The oil breather, I'll have to ask him. I went ahead and ordered the the guide and plunger assembly, last night. If $20 will keep this beast running, it will be well worth that to me.

Another thing I'd like to know, what is the switch on the left side of the dash for? It is to the left of the front and rear PTO switches. It is a two position, momentary contact type switch. I saw a beautiful restoration on this site of the exact tractor, and his is marked, fan.

Ahhh, very well may be. Thank you.

I welcome all others to add their two cents on the tractor. Good or bad, I'd like to know more. The one I have has the 60" front blade, and a 48" rear tiller.I had a tough time finding an air filter, and had to order it from Amazon. The fuel filter, which I purchased at NAPA, appears to be doing its job, as I can see many particles of rust in it. From what I've read, internal gas tank rust can be a problem with this particular tank.

• 3 weeks later...

We have fixed the points jumping, by replacing the plunger. Next, we're tackling oil blowing into the air filter via the oil breather tube. Inside of this is a piece of mesh, which is letting oil right through it. What do you suggest we try. It has good compression, and runs quite well.

Under the mesh there should be a wad of steel wool like material, anyway that is what I replaced mine with, make sure that the balls in the top are free to move, I spray mine with carb. cleaner.

The mesh IS the material I was referring to. Balls in the top of the assembly seem fine. We added a 1/2" thick piece of foam to the top of the mesh, to see if this has any effect on the problem. I just ran it for about an hour, tilling some ground. It ran fine until it started chugging.........Fouled plugs again, most likely. I have an NGK # in it that cross referenced to the Champion. Also, we put a little thicker oil in it. Might need a hotter plug, any recommendations? Thanks for your help.

You might want to use a more 'Digestible' material or something that won't degrade. I think Copper was originally used(?). When it DOES degrade, it will be in the sump before it gets filtered. Not good....

Of course, IMHO....

I have left the original copper in place, and placed the small foam piece on top of it. It has nearly stopped the flood of oil into the air filter. I have been taking it out after using it for 3-4 hours, to monitor it's condition. Meanwhile, I'm still fouling out the plugs (Champion H8C) after about an hour of use. It runs fine while tilling, unless I put it under a great load, then it will foul the plugs. In fact, I'm getting ready now to clean the plugs, and go run it again.

Do the balls in the breather move freely? Is the screen in the right place (see manual)? Is the O Ring on the breater in good shape? You might try a hotter plug, H10C or use anything other than Champion (never had much luck w/them). Is the air filter oil fouled? I think the NGK plug is B6L.

The balls do move freely. I only see one place the screen can go. Not certain what o-ring on which breather you are questioning. I appreciate your suggestions. I do have NGK B6L's in it, now. It calls for Champion H8C plugs. I just went to get some H10C plugs, and some thicker oil, 30 weight, have 10w30 in it now. Not sure what you mean by the air filter oil being fouled. When I ran it late this morning, it fouled the plugs 2 times, in less than an hour. If it bogs down while tilling, it fouls them immediately.

• 3 months later...

Since changing to the H10C plugs, and running straight 30 weight oil, I've not had any problems. The old machine is a beast!!!

Don't see much about the Simplicity 9020 anywhere. I wonder if there is a market for them?

Thanks again to all.

Hello Cey,

Glad to hear you are getting this machine sorted.

One point to mention, that has hung up many Power Max owners is the filter on the hydro drive.

Unlike many other systems, the filter on these tractors is on the inlet side of the hydro pump.

If a typical engine oil filter (worst type is the orange FRAM) is substituted for the specified 20 micron minimum mesh size the pump will be starved for fluid and the machine will loose both drive power and lift ability on the 3pt hitch.

When I bought mine, it could barely climb into a low trailer in 1st gear. After removing the dreaded FRAM filter, it immediately turned into a torque monster.

The other bugaboo I found is the front axle pivot bushing. When this is worn out, the axle can move so far as to make the steering erratic to the point of being almost uncontrolabe.

If mine hit a rock or rut just right it could spin the steering wheel right out of my hands. So be sure to keep your thumbs up and out of the spokes when traveling over rough ground.

My 2 cents, please value accordingly.