Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

UPDATE 64 landlord 990314 steering gear play

ss74nova

UPDATE 64 landlord 990314 steering gear play

Last night I was able to button up my landlord. The used steering gears from rokon2813 & new column bushing from jacks worked great. Thanks Dan. I had almost a half a turn of play & now it's only an inch of play. What a difference. Turns a lot better now. This winter I'll tackle the other issues because I'm low on cash now. The bevel gearbox has about 3/4 to 1 inch of play & when I rock the tractor back & forth either in gear or with the brake on there is about 4 inches of movement. I've seen other posts about this from JoggerFogger. I wonder if it would be worth it to rebuild the whole trans if parts are available. Tough to find a cheap parts tractor in my area or any at all. Thanks for all the help with my steering everybody.

Tim

powerking_one

Tim,

I wouldn't wait too much longer before attending to the BGB slop. Eventually you could grenade the gears in it and they are not cheap. The gears are hardened and generally don't wear very much, instead the woodruff keys, shafts and needle bearings are the wear items.

Tom (PK)

That's good to know. I'll have to let it sit & use my 63 Broadmoor to mow. If I understand correctly I could also crack the rear axle if the keys get too worn also. Thanks