Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sloppy Power Steering

Bruker

I have to take my Prestige down the road a ways to mow another lot and it's hard to keep it going in a straight line when going at top speed. All the linkage is nice and tight and the tires and their hardware are in good shape but I'm constantly having to turn the steering wheel back and forth trying to keep it going straight. Are there any adjustments to the torque generator that's used to power the steering?

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

The front pivot bolt loosens up. Snug it down and give it a try...

id="quote">
id="quote">Would that be the axle pivot bolt?Also, the wheels don't seem to be moving around but when I do need to make a steering adjustment I need to turn the steering wheel at least a quarter turn before there's any change in wheel direction.

Originally posted by Bruker
quote:
id="quote">And the bushings inside the front pivot wear. My Prestige is a first year production and I haven`t noticed and difference from when it was new. I did plan to drop the front axle this fall and see if they need replaced. You may want to keep an eye on those bushings. That front axle I believe the last time I looked it up was around $400.00Simplicity did have an issue with these because they came out with a wear plate that was suppose to help with this issue. I think Sam (SmilinSam) had an axle issue early on with his.I personally like the solid steel axle used on the Sovereigns. They should have stayed with that steel axle. I think the cast iron is an over rated selling point used by Cub Cadet and now MTD. It shows up in there brochures.

I was wondering if going down the road Wide open throttle

that the transmission might be using all the hydraulic power.

And leaving little for the power steering

It is the center bolt on the front axle. My 01 had the same issue, although not as bad. I snugged it and all is well. You may have other issues, but this fixed mine. It is nice and tight now.

I checked the center bolt(pivot bolt) today and it's nice and tight with very little play with the axle itself. I'm pretty sure the issue is in the steering column. From the steering wheel to the pinion gear there are a few connections that range from splined couplers to loose sleeves and through bolts. There's a lot of slop in those through bolt connections. Too involved to get into right now but this winter I'm going to see what I can do to shim and tighten those loose connections.