Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_RI

Trying to maximize mower deck height on a 725

John_RI

In an effort to get the cutting height on my 725 as high as I can, I bushed my really worn out rollers with 3/4 x 5/8 bronze bushings. I had planned to replace the worn roller shaft, but need to do some fab work that I don't have the capability for (will address later). The shaft is worn on the bottom and its cross-section resembles a 5/8th moon shape. The bushed rollers are a huge improvement with regard to mowing height ang uniformity. I have the deck adjusted about as high as it will go, but I have a problem driving over some of the sharp crowns in my lawn - the tractor gets lifted off the ground (by the deck) leaving my back wheels spinning in the air! I'm just wondering if anyone has considered, or modified their tractor by raising the front end to provide additional clearence for the deck. I'm thinking of several options to raise the front end, just a little bit, and I'm looking for advice and insight from others who might have done this.

Thanks, John

id="Arial">

rokon2813

You must have some SERIOUS humps in that yard. There is no way the deck should go high enough to lift the wheels off the ground if everything is right.

That would take a severe hump that you probably shouldn't mow over anyway, With the deck that high, the belt is going to rub on the cross bar and ruin the belt.

If your cross drive belt is too short, pulling the center PTO too far forward, the deck MIGHT come up high enough to lift on the bottom of the pto, but that is still too sharp a hill to mow over I think.

John_RI

Thanks for the concern Dan.

I do have a couple of humps in the yard. I don't think they are too SERIOUS to be mowing over, I've been mowing over them for about 19 years now - they just lift my mower/tractor a bit now that I've upgraded the deck rollers. I have no problem with the drive belt rubbing on the cross bar and the PTO is not a problem either. I think that up-grading the rollers and increasing the deck height has caused the issue I'm trying to solve.