Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Cyclone

The Power of Aluminum foil

Cyclone

I had some time to work on the Landlord and I figured I would see what I could do about the Chrome uprights up front. The uprights on my tractor really looked bad so I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

I had learned about a trick using aluminum foil to remove the rust spots on chrome 20+ years ago on Motorcycle chrome but haven't tried it in years since it only works on QUALITY US Chrome work.

DO NOT try this on crappy foreign chrome as it will scratch the crap out of it.

All in all it worked GREAT on the uprights. I only took a before shot of the worst side but took afters of both sides. I think you will be able to see the difference :)

Before:

chromeuprightbefore1_zps11af0bee.jpg

After:

chromeuprightafter1_zpsd8469a51.jpg

Other side after:

chromeuprightafter2_zps2d87e0ab.jpg

Cyclone

I think this works because with quality chrome you might get a tiny pinhole that starts rust but then the rest of the rust just sits on top of the chrome and doesn't pull it up off of the base metal like cheap chrome may do.

The aluminum foil acts like a sand paper of sorts. It is able to scrub off the rust without scratching the chrome because the chrome plating is much harder than the aluminum foil. The foil also breaks down to form small particles that "fill" the pin holes.

It's amazing that it works but it does!

bowhunt4life

Holy awesomeness batmanOO

This worked great. Darn near have a new set of hubcaps.

2013-08-06185134_zpsace49d76.jpg

2013-08-06190407_zps326ccb33.jpg

Of course my youngest daughter had to tag along for a ride.

2013-08-06183017_zps87fa16f9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• PhanDad
    • abu507
    • s_stephen
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts