Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The Power of Aluminum foil

Cyclone

I had some time to work on the Landlord and I figured I would see what I could do about the Chrome uprights up front. The uprights on my tractor really looked bad so I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

I had learned about a trick using aluminum foil to remove the rust spots on chrome 20+ years ago on Motorcycle chrome but haven't tried it in years since it only works on QUALITY US Chrome work.

DO NOT try this on crappy foreign chrome as it will scratch the crap out of it.

All in all it worked GREAT on the uprights. I only took a before shot of the worst side but took afters of both sides. I think you will be able to see the difference :)

Before:

chromeuprightbefore1_zps11af0bee.jpg

After:

chromeuprightafter1_zpsd8469a51.jpg

Other side after:

chromeuprightafter2_zps2d87e0ab.jpg

I think this works because with quality chrome you might get a tiny pinhole that starts rust but then the rest of the rust just sits on top of the chrome and doesn't pull it up off of the base metal like cheap chrome may do.

The aluminum foil acts like a sand paper of sorts. It is able to scrub off the rust without scratching the chrome because the chrome plating is much harder than the aluminum foil. The foil also breaks down to form small particles that "fill" the pin holes.

It's amazing that it works but it does!

Holy awesomeness batmanOO

This worked great. Darn near have a new set of hubcaps.

2013-08-06185134_zpsace49d76.jpg

2013-08-06190407_zps326ccb33.jpg

Of course my youngest daughter had to tag along for a ride.

2013-08-06183017_zps87fa16f9.jpg