Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homelite T16 Tractor

emt892

I am buying a Homelite T16 Tractor prob today. I do not know which kind it is, dont know how to tell. It does have a left sided discharge. Strong metal, Deck a 2 small hole on top of deck that I could easily have welded. Owner started it it right up 2 cranks and it fired up sounded good too. Smoke (white/grey) came out at initial crank but no more. Doest have any implements with it. Original paint in good shape. Im looking to buy it for use as everyday mower on my farm and in the garden if I can find the right tiller attachment.

Any Info or advise would be great help.

Thanks!

Jeff:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emt892

• John_in_Oxford

• PhanDad

• hamman01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check out Zippo Vargas videos on what to look for when buying old Allis Chalmers tractors (same as Simplicity and your Homelite). He goes into detail on the drive train and how to check for wear in the Bevel Gear Box and many other useful inspections. Here's the attachment to part 1.

Oh, welcome to the club.

There are several differences the easiest way to tell is the grill.

T12.JPG

The Allis made tractors have an upside down grill.

HPIM4644 Small.JPG

The Simplicity made tractors although it's harder to see in this pic the grill is the same as the other tractors. Another thing is the clutch and drive for the deck. The Allis made tractors had an electric clutch on the front of the engine and the Simplicity tractors run the deck of the bevel gear box. Hope this helps, ask anything else you need to know.

T12.JPG.5c81fc64b8aad20667cee6703a2bdff3.JPG

57e05eb797788_HPIM4644Small.JPG.0274948d6e492dfa3be86dfc791c8ec4.JPG

Welcome to the club.

IMO, the easiest way to tell an A/C Homelite from a Simplicity Homelite is if it has a stock deck. Right discharge, an A/C built Homelite; left discharge a Simplicity in blue.

As to a tiller, any large frame Simplicity will work, but you need a rear lift and may have to modify the hitch to make it work (fairly easy to do).

And we'd like to see pics when you get it.

See 3rd "Sticky" post down in this forum.

It's fairly simple.

Be in "edit" mode.

Use the "paper clip" icon from the tool bar to select the pic you want.

Pic name must not have any spaces or weird characters, be a ".jpg" file, and needs to be a max of about 100KB.

Most post a pic size of 640x480.

Trying to post Pics but when I click on reply I do not have a paperclip icon. Do you have to have a paid subscription to post pics?

Got the tractor home last night. Test mowed a small area, did pretty well. I am going to replace the oil and air filter, transmission fluid and filter, bevel gear box oil. Check all belts, spark plug and grease fittings. Any thing I should be advised of when doing these things or any thing else I should check or replace?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!dOd One thing I would check is for mouse nests under the engine shroud. It's surprising how, more often than not, when I remove it, there's major blockage to be cleaned out. Wouldn't want to cook the engine before you got to really use it. Dave

quote:Originally posted by dhoadley

Welcome to the forum!dOd One thing I would check is for mouse nests under the engine shroud. It's surprising how, more often than not, when I remove it, there's major blockage to be cleaned out. Wouldn't want to cook the engine before you got to really use it. Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">The owner had it running when I came up to look at it, said he just finished mowing his yard. Runs good, sounds good but def. going to replace the fluids and filters just to be on the safe side.Thanks.:)

Since your tractor has a left discharge, it should be Simplicity built. Therefore pretty much any large frame Simplicity (Sovereign, Landlord, Baron tractors) or non 300/400 series A/C (700, 900) tractor attachements should fit.

See our club's classified, eBay, and local craigslist.

Many times it's more economical to buy a "junk" non running tractor for the attachements than buying just an attachment. The problem with this approach is you contract tractoritis and wind up with a tractor for each attachment and a few spares to boot!

PS - looking forward to seeing the pics.

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Since your tractor has a left discharge, it should be Simplicity built. Therefore pretty much any large frame Simplicity (Sovereign, Landlord, Baron tractors) or non 300/400 series A/C (700, 900) tractor attachements should fit.See our club's classified, eBay, and local craigslist. Many times it's more economical to buy a "junk" non running tractor for the attachements than buying just an attachment. The problem with this approach is you contract tractoritis and wind up with a tractor for each attachment and a few spares to boot! PS - looking forward to seeing the pics.

id="quote">
id="quote">:D The wife already warned me about that. LOL! But yeah it sounds like a good idea. thanks for the Info I didnt know which ones was Simplicity, some Ive never heard of.I bought this tractor mainly for an extra tractor for my small farm since my TSC "Husky" tractor keeps breaking down, I figure the older one seems to be built better so why not.Thank again.8)

Welcome to the club. Real nice looking tractor!

Good job on overcoming your first challenge that comes with owning a old tractor. That to me is what makes them fun to own IMO as long as it is nothing major.

Checked the oil yesterday, had to add some. Everything looked good. Filled up the mower and had to jump start the tractor battery. I decided to mow my yard with it. After an hour and a half Got almost done with it and the motor died while I was going down hill. It would crank,and fire but wouldnt start, I added gas to make sure that wasnt the problem and it wasnt. Now it wont start. Any Ideas?

If your tank is dirty, it could have restricted gas in the carb. which means a carb cleaning. It could also be a fouled plug. If you haven't replaced it, then who knows how long ago it was replaced.

Plenty of fuel goig into the carb, going to get new plug today.Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by sb64

If your tank is dirty, it could have restricted gas in the carb. which means a carb cleaning. It could also be a fouled plug. If you haven't replaced it, then who knows how long ago it was replaced.

id="quote">
id="quote">

After you get it running I would replace the engine oil and bevel gearbox oil as soon as you can. I change my engine oil as soon as it begins to get even slightly dark. Probably overkill but for a 36-year old engine it's worth it to me.

Thanks, I plan on doing that. I got the spark plug but didnt have the time or energy to change it out before the rain came, hopefully this evening.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

After you get it running I would replace the engine oil and bevel gearbox oil as soon as you can. I change my engine oil as soon as it begins to get even slightly dark. Probably overkill but for a 36-year old engine it's worth it to me.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Wheres the best place to buy tires for my tractor? my local Tractor Supply Store isnt much help, they hired a bunch of kids who dont know anything about tractors or farming. This store has changed names several times, looking like they might go out of business again if they keep doing what theyre doing. Low stock, dirty facility. Its a shame.:(