Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

big ten for a CUB CADET?! (with woods fm48 mower)

SethL007

Ok guys let me show you before you all think im nuts!!! I traded a complete running big ten for an early sixties cub cadet with an original woods fm48 front mounted finish mower that was sold new with the tractor. I got it from another club member. This thing is really cool!! I have never owned a cub before but i think this front mower makes a neat package! Tractor and the mower came with the original manuals and everything! I have tried to do some research on the fm48 woods and have not turned up much of anything. Well here are a few pictures of the unit!! Once again thanks for the trade DAVE!!!

cubunmounted2.jpg

cubfrontmounted2.jpg

cubfrontrightmounted2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by bowhunt4life

That is a poor attempt by Cub to replicate the Simplicity Weedcutter:D

id="quote">
id="quote">There is no compare to that awesome simplicity weed cutter dOd.I have never seen a cub front mower . what engine is in the cub ? cant tell if its a cub original or not. the cub original ( 1960-61 ) had 7hp kohler and are worth some $$$ and those round rear fenders are worth some good money too.

it is the factory original 7hp. i also got the oil bath air cleaner to go with it. dont know anything about these things. thanks perry!!!!

do you have the original owners manual for the mower ?.

here is a manual for the woods FM48 and it shows it being a 3pt setup . looks to be made by yanmar. someone may have turned that one into a front mount. But i thought fm - means front mount and RM - means rear mount

http://www.cubcadet.com/wcsstore/CubCadetCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/owners%20manuals/compacts/FM60_769-03315.pdf

quote:Originally posted by SethL007

it is the factory original 7hp. i also got the oil bath air cleaner to go with it. dont know anything about these things. thanks perry!!!!

id="quote">
id="quote">I have seen the cub originals go for $1000. and even the rough shape ones bring decent money . I sold my very nice original i had years ago for $400 sm00. Here is a good cub cadet FAQS page - http://cubfaq.com/questions.html

Perry,

I will get a picture of it today to put up on here but yes I have the original owners manual for the woods fm48 which shows it on the front of an early cub.

You should restore that tractor. All there with fenders, and a mower that most likely no one to almost no one else has, especially if it was sold new with it.

Whats the tractor serial number?

Loated on transmission case up & ahead of the axle on right side - I think...

Reason Iasked was that the lower the number, the more appeal it has for collectors. The low 4 digit numbers or less..

Still think you should dress that one up nicedOd

Thats a sweet package! Im betting its like finding the ultra rare front mount reel mower for an early Landlord...kinda an early Allied attachment that nobody has. I wouldnt let that go!

OK guys...I have known of this tractor/mower since the mid 1970's. Sold new to Firestone Farms on April 11, 1961 and signed for by the farms manager. It then went thru three other owners until I acquired it in about 1999 or 2000. ( the same Firestone Farms where Harvey developed and tested his rubber tires for farm machinery back in the 1930's) Because of arthritis and back trouble I have come to the point where it is time to liquidate...enter Seth. Anyway, the tractor has the original 7HP Kohler with an original oil bath air cleaner. The mower was manufactured by Woods for this application. It is possible they made mowers for other manufacturers but I can't be sure. It ,is not a weedcutter knockoff but a true finish mower and is the real deal I have never seen or heard of another one. Over the years my two favorite questions/comments with this outfit have been: " Yeah, but what model number Cub Cadet is it??? Uhh 's a Cub Cadet...the first ones didn't have model numbers." and..."....Well, you can't run a 48" mower with 7hp....takes at least 18 or 20. "well, that's funny...this one's done it for a lot of years..ever hear of torque?? So for my parting shot with the provenance, patina, documentation and my own research I am completely convinced that his outfit is about as original as they get considering the hard life it's had. Any more questions???

Are parts available from Jacks?

Just kidding,thats one of the coolest things I've seen in a long while.I've thought of the same thing for a Simp,this gives me more ideas,thanks!

Dave,

I was just being a smart arse! It is very cool and I can appreciate vintage garden tractors and attachments.

OK, Bowhunt..you caught me. I too have that same appreciation for the odd and unusual. I sincerely hope Seth will restore that outfit. I think it would be super cool!! 8D8D8D

quote:Originally posted by SethL007

Perry,Here is a picture of the owners/parts manual for the fm48 woods mower.

woodsfm48resized.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">That right There is some Awesome proof .....dOdand to know the life history of this machine just makes it all the better ^

There is a young man near here in Indiana (Southwest of Fort Wayne) who is very knowlagable of Cub Cadets. He has even written articals for Lawn and Garden Tractor Magazine. PM me if you would like his contact information. He also works for a Cub Cadet Dealer and sells new and used parts.