Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loose BGB

RandyBuxton

RandyBuxton

All was well on the B10 today until it wasn't. The BGB has no play when the gears are engaged.However, there is side to side movement where the gears are not engaged. This didn't seem to be a problem until today. Is the side to side movement of the shaft something that is eliminated by pushing the pulleys from both sides tight to the BGB or is there something inside the BGB that is not correct!

RandyBuxton

What a pain taking the BGB off. Had to be done. My fault from the start for not tapping the right side bearing in until it meets with the gear race. Chalk it up to my first tractor. Fortunately the gears are okay. I found the woodruff key from the driven shaft off and in the bottom of the BGB when I opened 'er up.

I haven't gotten to the tapping in part yet (maybe later tonight) but it seems that the three shims that were on there originally are not enough. We shall see.

RandyBuxton

Right bearing tapped in,all is well. Now to finish the job I need a few of the thicker shims which are apparently no longer available.

If anyone can direct me to a source of the thicker shims that would be great.

RandyBuxton

After reading several posts on the subject (thanks all) I have concluded that the easiest fix is to put in two seals in right side of the BGB, since the new replacement seals are half the size of the originals.

Worked for me. Now to get the B10 back together for this weekend's antique engine show in Chambersburg, PA.