Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmhusby

Question on Sovereign rear-end?????

jmhusby

Our Sovereign has a problem. It will go forward, not as good as it should, but doesn't go backwards. Is there a possibilty that a key sheared off or is deeper than that? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. A little more information--when going down an incline the tractor free-wheels. When you try to back up it just sits there and chatters. I called our dealer and he said he has never worked on a Sovereign rear end so that was no help.

PhanDad

Assuming it has a Sundstrand hydro it it, I'd check the free wheel relief valves. They both are probably sticking, the reverse one worse than the forward one.

Spray them with WD40 and "exercise" them until they raise all the way up. If they are stubborn, jack the rear tires off the ground and "exercise" them with the engine running. Sometimes the extra hydraulic pressure will help push the pins back up and seat them.

cschmidt62
quote:I called our dealer and he said he has never worked on a Sovereign rear end so that was no help.

id="quote">
id="quote">

It's getting harder and harder to find a dealer who can tell you anything about a tractor older than 2000, Thank goodness for the guys on this website!

Burntime

Isn't that the truth. I have learned a wealth of information from the shade tree mechanics here. Repair, welding, attachments, tips, tricks, not to mention someone who has been there and done that, much better than reading a repair manual. Pictures solidify the confidence to tackle a project that otherwise would not have been attempted!dOd

jmhusby

A little update on the problem with our Allis. Took it down to the dealer in Woodville, WI and it took him all of about 5 minutes to tell us where the problem is. As you sit on the tractor on the right wheel there is a hub (for lack of a better description) just before where the wheel and tire bolt on. All he would say is the hub has to come off and what ever is inside is tore up and needs replacing. Won't know till its apart and parts are looked up and ordered. Sure helps when you get to talk to guys that work on the "young and the OLD"dOddOddOddOd

MikeES

John you can't go wrong with Northside Power in Woodville, WI is the best. Jason and the crew know tractors, and I found them to be professional and honest.

They also have a bone yard that is very rare to find these days, Jason will let look around and will gladly sell you from the yard instead of selling you a new part.

I have a Simplicity dealer 7 miles from my house but I do all business with Northside which is 25 miles away.

BTW they fix just about anything, any brand.

jmhusby

Mike the boneyard is gone. They had a mechanic working all summer long and cleaned up the yard. They have been very helpful. They also had an old Murray sitting there lavendar/purple color but the neatest set of headlights on it. Col looking. Who is the other dealer?

jmhusby

Took the differential apart and found 4 bolts and springs broke. Got new ones and put it back together and works okay. Also got a good spare from a friend so its all set now.