Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

motorhead110

3 Day Restoration

motorhead110

The story is my father is going away for 3 days and I would like to do somthing nice for him, so I was wondering if anyone thinks its possible to do a 3 Day Restoration on a 1970 3212v. Im going to have somone giving me a hand. So please, give me your opinions.

RickS

I think it would depend on what you started with (its condition) as well as the desired end result.

If you were swapping motors and did a quick repaint I think it would be possible. If you were planning a complete tear down and repaint each nut and bolt as well a rebuild the motor; you will need more time.

I still say go for it. I am sure whatever you get down your Dad will be happy.

Keep in mind you could "borrow" the tractor before he leaves claiming it needs work and that you will bring it back once the oil change and tune up is done. That should buy you a few extra days.

Rick......

PhanDad

If it involves painting, I would think not.

Just "cleaning" and mechanical, I think it would be possible assuming all needed parts are onhand or immediately available.

motorhead110

Well, what I was planning to do is rebuild the carb, clean-up an maybe paint the motor, and probably throw a quick coat of paint on the tractor itself.

emt892
quote:Originally posted by motorhead110

I have pics but i dont know how to post them.

id="quote">
id="quote">Check under the "sticky Notes" on the main section of "talking Tractors", or pay the $10 dues fee and it lets you "attach" your photos. Hopes this helps you.

Talntedmrgreen

I think it's certainly doable, as long as you're not rebuilding the mechanicals. It's easy enough to repalce bushings and hardware with new, as you go, and you'd need to be using a spray gun and an additive to help your dry time. Prep is going to be the tough part...dissasembly and reassembly can go lickity-split, especially with a helper. Are you going to sandblast? I have a local place that will be done with a pickup load of tractor steel by lunch, if it's on a pallet by their front door when they arrive in the morning, and you've given them a call a few days in advance to warn them.

RickS

Brenden,

Since you are a non-paying member you can only post a link to your pictures. As a paying member the SimpleTractors website would host your pictures.

The difference between the two states is where the pictures are hosted. Either on this site or another site.

Hope this helps.

Rick......

toomanytractors

Brenden: Give your dad some extra money and have him stay six days. Or, have a big party with lots of guys in work clothes. Or, call Overhaulin'.

motorhead110
quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

Ya got the hood? General cleanup, rebuilt carb, new seat, 3 days, is doable.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have the hood, but it looks like its of a 3112 or a 3110. (Its the orange thing with the crunched up hood scoop in the last pic)

motorhead110
quote:Originally posted by toomanytractors

Brenden: Give your dad some extra money and have him stay six days. Or, have a big party with lots of guys in work clothes. Or, call Overhaulin'.

id="quote">
id="quote">I like the ideas Dave! :D , but, he is going to national meetings for his work. I pretty much have 4 days though because when he gets home... he's gunna go right to sleep.

toomanytractors

I just looked at your profile-----13 years old?????. You must be quite a guy...Us old guys aren't even that ambitious.. Let us know how this works out:):)

fishnwiz

I say go for it!

Make sure extra time is spent on metal prep. The new spray bombs do an excellent job. If temp is right and humidity not too high, you can get her done!

Best of luck.

B10Dave
dOd Brendan, that is a very nice thing you are doing for your Dad.Even if you don't get it finished in the time frame you have to work in, I'm sure your Dad will be surprised and pleased. You sound like a very thoughtful and ambitious guy. Have at it and have fun while doing it...Dave

motorhead110

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Another question: Does anyone the paint color I should use? Im painting it with a cheapie Harbor Freight Gravity Feed gun.

Thanks again!

RayS
quote:Originally posted by motorhead110

Thanks for all your comments guys!Another question: Does anyone the paint color I should use? Im painting it with a cheapie Harbor Freight Gravity Feed gun.Thanks again!

id="quote">
id="quote">Good paint gun. I have one as well. Do a search on paint. If using a gun you will have to find a color you like or have one mixed. That color used on the 3212 is NLA from Simplicity as far as I know.

Willy

I don't know if painting is a good idea.

You need time to let the paint cure and by the time

you degrease it and feather nicks and fix the dings

you would end up using a tractor with paint that

would be a little green yet(soft) unless you have

another tractor to use if you don't get it done.

I think wanting to fix Dads tractor up is a very

nice thing and I wish you well but would hate to

see you bite off more than is doable in three days.

Chris727
quote:Originally posted by Willy

I don't know if painting is a good idea.You need time to let the paint cure and by the time you degrease it and feather nicks and fix the dingsyou would end up using a tractor with paint thatwould be a little green yet(soft) unless you have another tractor to use if you don't get it done.I think wanting to fix Dads tractor up is a very nice thing and I wish you well but would hate to see you bite off more than is doable in three days.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have to agree with Willy. Its too much of a rush for paint work, probably even too much of a rush for complete disassembly and reassembly. You will almost always find something else unexpected when tearing one of these machines apart.

motorhead110
quote:Originally posted by Willy

I don't know if painting is a good idea.You need time to let the paint cure and by the time you degrease it and feather nicks and fix the dingsyou would end up using a tractor with paint thatwould be a little green yet(soft) unless you have another tractor to use if you don't get it done.I think wanting to fix Dads tractor up is a very nice thing and I wish you well but would hate to see you bite off more than is doable in three days.

id="quote">
id="quote">Jim,I appreciate your concern but, I belive I have it planned out to fit the time frame. In addition, I wasn't planning on taking all the paint off, just wetsanding it till it's smoothish.Thanks,Brenden

rcb

I used to be very particular about these things, but these days I've really warmed up to rattle cans. If it were me and I had limited time and budget, I'd start with the seat. If you don't have covers and don't intent to get them, use marine vinyl. If your mother or you can sew, it's not too hard to sew a little pre form to it. Repair the foam on the seat with upholstery foam (or in a pinch, foam from an old couch cushion, cut to shape. Toss the cover (or fabric for your cover) in the dryer for a few minutes right before hand, spray the foam with 3m adhesive and then go at it with a staple gun (at least if it used staples to tack the cover in in the first place). I usually have to go around the seat a couple times to get it stretched enough. Don't be afraid to pull staples if you have to.

After that, a good washing. If you intend to paint, make sure to degrease. Acetone (be careful of course, using all due precautions, ventilation, etc...) or similar on a rag should pull up existing wax and such. If you're going to use rattle cans, get one of the handles... makes everything easier. Make sure to get at least 3 coats, following the directions. A fast drying paint helps.

3rd day, I'd just try to clean everything else up. Maybe go through the carb and repair, refresh.

motorhead110

Thanks for the advice RC!

How much does the marine vinyl you were talking about cost? I'm trying to aim for a low budget tractor, but if it cheap enough, ill consider