Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3 Day Restoration

motorhead110

quote:Originally posted by motorhead110

Thanks for the advice RC!How much does the marine vinyl you were talking about cost? I'm trying to aim for a low budget tractor, but if it cheap enough, ill consider

id="quote">
id="quote">If you have a boat shop near you, about 15 dollars a yard, usually in 54" widths. A yard would be enough, if you're are careful. I recommend cut and sew style if you can, but you need to know basic sewing skills and have a good sewing machine. You can still do a lot without cutting and sewing. Just tuck your corners. It'll still look a lot better than a split seat in my opinion. Make sure to have enough extra so you can pull while you staple. It takes a strong arm... just be careful around sharp corners.Feel free to send me an email if you decide to do the seat and I can explain in more detail.

Also, a good and cheap improvement is replacing all the rubber lines. Looks better and can be an actual performance upgrade if they are cracking. :)

If you have access to a power washer, it can do amazing things... just keep it away from engine and electronics. They can easily cut through gaskets, which of course you don't want to do.

I think I will do the seat Rc.

Yet another question

The motor thats on the tractor (I belive its a 300421), can you put a fuel pump on it? Its just a pain to bleed out the lines after you run out of gas

Brenden: Don't worry about a fuel pump. When it runs out of gas put some in the tank and if it won't start take the gas cap off and wipe off the neck of the tank and put your mouth over it and blow. Don't ask me where I learned this but it works every time. I have two friends who thought this was the most incredibly stupid thing they'd ever heard until they tried it. Works every time for them too.

quote:Originally posted by toomanytractors

Brenden: wipe off the neck of the tank and put your mouth over it and blow.

id="quote">
id="quote">been doing this for years , just don't inhale :D. I found a paper towel tube fits the neck as well. better to use a blow gun and rag .

OK, Yesterday was day one. I pulled the motor... twice, determend the S/G needs rebuilt, and managed to fry the solenoid (the contacts on the igntion switch stuck), and didn't go to bed till about 1:30 All in a days work i guess :D

So im sitting here waiting for a new solenoid.

I went to a fabric store for the vinyl when I recovered a snowmobile seat. They have a lot of different stuff to choose from, and fairly inexpensive. I think it was $3-5 a yard for some heavy gauge marine grade vinyl. Buy extra, so if you have to start fresh you can....