Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Better seat mounting?

Bruker

My father-in-law has been having some back issues and the seat time on his Prestige isn't as enjoyable as it used to be. Has anyone ever tried a different type of a seat mounting method that might improve the ride?

Great link, Rick. I picked up a scrapped out Poulan for the 14.5hp Briggs engine that it has, that is in great condition, but I'm also using the seat springs and mounting on my 738. I'm going to build like what Randy has posted from the link. I need a seat that will flip up, and has springs, as my 738 occasionally sits outside.

With my birthday come up my lovely wife got me this commercial seat for me. I spend many hours a day on a mower and the last 2 days I have had this seat I advise anyone with back issues to invest in this type of suspension seat. It is well made and can be fitted to most any mower. It is a investment in your own better health and sometimes that is hard to put a price on.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200268424_200268424?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Seats-_-Suspension%20Seats-_-17566&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=17566&gclid=COnowpL_77gCFYxcMgodpzEAeg

Well, I used a scrapped Troy Bilt for the sprung seat last weekend. Rides great on the flat ground, scares the H*** out of you on the slopes. The new seat sits about 8 inches higher than original, moves the center of gravity. Riding on a steep slope as my ditch banks are, makes me very uncomfortable, thinking I might tip over. I am going back to the uncomfortable seat.

quote:Originally posted by MrSteele

Well, I used a scrapped Troy Bilt for the sprung seat last weekend. Rides great on the flat ground, scares the H*** out of you on the slopes. The new seat sits about 8 inches higher than original, moves the center of gravity. Riding on a steep slope as my ditch banks are, makes me very uncomfortable, thinking I might tip over. I am going back to the uncomfortable seat.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ditto on the slopes. What has struck me with this Sovereign is how I feel "glued to the ground" doing what you said.I sat it next to the old Craftsman GT6000 - same size tires, but seat is mebbe 2" lower on the Sovereign. That, plus the fact the Sovvy is 400 pounds heavier "has changed my life".C of G is EVERYTHING, and a 200 pound human really changes the equation.Both hurt my left hip something fierce though...

quote:Originally posted by dhardin

With my birthday come up my lovely wife got me this commercial seat for me. I spend many hours a day on a mower and the last 2 days I have had this seat I advise anyone with back issues to invest in this type of suspension seat. It is well made and can be fitted to most any mower. It is a investment in your own better health and sometimes that is hard to put a price on.http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200268424_200268424?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Seats-_-Suspension%20Seats-_-17566&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=17566&gclid=COnowpL_77gCFYxcMgodpzEAeg

id="quote">
id="quote">You do have very thoughtful wife.I wish I did, she would just say "why put a hundred dollar saddleon a twenty dollar horse.

Thanks Willy;

I say prices have gone up, My new $380 saddle is on a $9000 work horse. And this saddle mays my 60 years old butt feel better.

quote:Originally posted by MrSteele

I found a seat at Tractor Supply yesterday, will go on today, and I'll be closer to the ground again!http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/padded-pan-seat-blackSprings were comfy, but I didn't like that vertigo on the slopes

id="quote">
id="quote">Back to basics and looks good too - plus only half a Franklin.

I understand that some may not be able to go with a suspension seat. I did a upgrade on the seat platform several years back. Note the small sock absorber and spring giving the seat some added cuss. It real did help but the new seat and the old upgrade (a shock absorber off a electric wheelchair) makes life beautiful.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/dhardin53/media/mini-IMG_0609_zps22c284c8.jpg.html