Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Arbor shaft too tight after torquing hex flange

NewfieBern

I’m trying to rebuild an arbor on my 38” Simplicity deck after blowing the upper bearing. I took the whole assembly and showed it to my dealer who sold me a new bearing, upper housing and the washer that sits below the lower bearing. I put it all back together and filled the arbor with grease.

Here’s where I may have gone wrong. In order to keep the shaft from spinning while tightening the top nut (called a hex flange on my model) I put the blade on and used a block of wood to hold everything still. Once I got the torque right on the flange, 50-70 lbs according to the manual, I torqued the blade as recommended. The entire assembly was locked down solid – there was no way I could spin the blade. I tried backing off the torque on the flange to see if I could get the blade to spin but it required that I loosen it so much that the whole assembly would have flown apart if I tried to run it. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

usually you can back the nut off a touch and it will spin . sounds like you may have some washers misplaced or need to add some. make sure they gave you the correct bearing and it is seated all the way in it's place.

You know, I love my Allis tractors but I am really beginning to hate the mower decks. I spent $200 on parts to rebuild one and today (3 cuts later) had to re-rebuild the center arbor. I just can never seem to get one of these to work flawlessly for any length of time.

I am now of the opinion that the only way to go is to buy complete arbor assemblies and bolt them in - trying to rebuild them piece by piece is not the way to go.

Next move: going to pull-behind reels. Thinking a 3-gang would be a good substitute for a 48" rotary. I use a manual reel on my front lawn and you have to see it to appreciate how nice it looks.

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

You know, I love my Allis tractors but I am really beginning to hate the mower decks. I spent $200 on parts to rebuild one and today (3 cuts later) had to re-rebuild the center arbor. I just can never seem to get one of these to work flawlessly for any length of time.I am now of the opinion that the only way to go is to buy complete arbor assemblies and bolt them in - trying to rebuild them piece by piece is not the way to go.Next move: going to pull-behind reels. Thinking a 3-gang would be a good substitute for a 48" rotary. I use a manual reel on my front lawn and you have to see it to appreciate how nice it looks.

id="quote">
id="quote">I rebuilt my 42" deck a year and a half ago. Key spun in the pulley. Didn`t realize the keyway was bad when I put it back together. Replaced arbor shaft and haven`t had a problem since. If there is any play in the key way they will need replaced.

Yeah, the lower pulley's keyway ripped out. Luckily no damage to the shaft. Put a new key and new pulley on so we will see.

"You know, I love my Allis tractors but I am really beginning to hate the mower decks."

I'm with you Orange! I consider a working deck the MOST valuable attachment out there, the PTO right behind it.I recently purchased a gaggle of old decks and everyone of them had issues, the center drive being the most common.Right behind that is the bottom underdeck rollers shaft wallowed out and locking up when you go forward.Main drive pulley spun out and ruined a keyway, spindles are pricey, the pulley pricier!

I feel fortunate to have two working decks with no issues.

I think most of the problems with mower decks is belt tension,

They don't need to be much more than good and snug.

If they are to tight they build up heat and get glazed, stretched

and lose there integrity.

The pulley's are designed to grab the belt, so they don't

need that extra tug we all seem to want to give them.

quote:Originally posted by Willy

I think most of the problems with mower decks is belt tension,They don't need to be much more than good and snug.If they are to tight they build up heat and get glazed, stretchedand lose there integrity. The pulley's are designed to grab the belt, so they don'tneed that extra tug we all seem to want to give them.

id="quote">
id="quote">YES , proper belt size is crucial. to tight of a cross drive belt will send a center spindle to a early grave. plus it throws off the rest of the PTO running gear.

On the deck that came with my 918H, the belt was so tight that they actually had it running on the tube between the upper and lower center pulley. sm00 Needless to say, the center blade was spinning much faster than the other two. I can't imagine that they would've run it that way for long, but the center bearings are gone anyway.