Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sb64

landlord carb troubles

sb64

Well, I found out that my landlords carb float had a hole in it, which was making it flood out constantly. So, I ordered a new float. It is a plastic float. This new float isn't adjustable, and it isn't letting enough gas down. The only way I can get it to run is with the choke. No, it is not a jet adjustment. So my question is, do I wait another week or two or do I drill out the needle valve seat hole a little bigger to let more gas down?

HubbardRA

With the bowl off the carb, hold it upside down. If the float sits level with the bowl mounting surface when upside down, then the float is set for proper operation.

Next, install the fuel line and turn the carb over. This will show how much fuel flows when the float drops.

Then gently lift the float upward and see where the gas stops flowing.

Now you have a better idea of whether it is this new float that is causing the problem, or if it is a restriction elsewhere in the fuel system.

sb64

Thanks, I have already tried that with both gas and air. When I turn the gas on, I will wait about 1 minute before I see any gas coming out of the bottom jet. (this is with the carb hooked up) and it will fire right up and sound great. Then, you know how these carbsettingsuretor get wet on the outside, the carb will go completely dry, and I have to keep all jets wide open and the choke on to run it. I seem to think that this new float is wider.

sb64

New idea!!! I don't know why i didn't think of this before, but whty don't i file down the needle valve instead of drilling the hole in the carb?

briggsetc

Are you telling me that when you get a 99333 carb float from Briggs for a Briggs Medium FloJet carb now you do not get a brass one like the original?

Or did you buy an aftermarket part.

You could try soldering the hole in the old one after getting as much liquid out of it as possible,if it is brass. But you need to maintain the correct weight.

Used float weight = 13.9 - 15.2 gr ... worked good

NOS float weight = 14.8 - 15.0 gr.

The brass ones are available all over ebay.

Gary

sb64

Yes, to the first question. I gave the mechanic the briggs # and it's not a superceded # I did try soldering, but I had no luck, and I had a little fire:D I don't have a credit card and neither does anyone in my family so ebay is out of the question. I have three needle valves that all work, so I think I will try filing the needle valve down little by little.

MrSteele

I'd keep looking for the brass float. The dealer you buy from is a waste of time, find another. I ordered a float a few weeks ago, and got an original brass replacement

sb64

Well, sorry I didn't update you guys, but I used the steel needle valve w/ seat, and it turned out to be shorter. So I have been using it for the last few days with no issues.

Burntime

You can link paypal to a checking account. The check so to speak has to clear but it can be done... I always soldered if there was a pin hole. Like others have said, you can't booger it up due to the weight.