Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 916 with K301S?

rcb

I am guessing that this motor had been swapped in at some point. I'm going to rebuild the motor, but was surprised to see the 301. Are the blocks all the same? I may just buy a 341 head, piston, rings, etc... and switch it over if that's the case. Whoever did the swap, did a good job, putting everything back in place with no cobbling.

But, just to doublecheck, has anyone else seen a 12hp 301S in a 916?

the K301 block is different than a K341 block.

the # is cast into the block itself by the pto shaft.

are you sure just the shroud with the sticker was not changed?

I dont think there is enough sleeve to bore a 301 to a 341 either

the cranks are also different

Different engines.

Ive put 12's in place of 16's and kt17's to have a running tractor. With the 12 you really shouldnt run a 48" deck or 42" blower if its a hydro tractor. When those implemets get loaded up they will pull more than the engine can give. Under lighter loads like dry light grass or dry light snows, they would be ok.

K301 and the K321 (14hp) are very similar just a bore difference. The K301 can be bored out to handle the 3.5" bore, but then I wouldn't recommend putting a 14hp piston on the 12hp crank, unless you rebalance to handle the larger piston.

The K341 (16hp) is a completely different block.

Does the shrouding say 12hp?

Some K301s are 10hp (short crank in a 301 block).

The 12hp will handle a 48" deck even in heavy grass, but not a deck and bagger. It will also handle a 42" thrower...just slower.

Wow, ok... went out and looked and discovered the problem... IT WAS ME! It's actually a 912, which would make perfect sense. I can only guess I crossed my wires since I've also been working on a Simplicity 6216. I apologize for my miscommunication.