Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Installing sickle mower on 7119

good1369

Greetings gentleman, I have acquired a sickle mower and want install it on one of my 7119 sovereigns. I haven't been able to find info on it. Anything I have to worry about? Anyone got any good ideas? Thanks, Jim S?

As long as you have the gear reduction sickle for the RBT's you should be good to go. If it a sickle for an older model it won't work. If you can find the model id number that would be helpful. Pictures would also be good!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some pics of the sickle mower. I installed it on one of my 7119s. Belt was too short, got 98" belt. came with belt part # 108151. worked but belt kept coming off. drive mechanism looks much different than on in manual for 7100. Don't think this right one. Can one of you fine gentlemen help me identify it. No numbers on the mower as I can see

Here's a picture of rpickle's RBT planetary sicklebar:

sbplanetaryrpickle.jpg

Note that these sicklebars were made for 3400/7000 series Simplicity's (700 AC's) not 7100 series (900 AC's) although all these tractors (3400/7000/7100) have a cone clutch which is what the planetary sicklebar was intended to be used with. It takes a different length belt for a 7100 tractor than called for in the planetary manual. IIRC 71" - 73".Mounting on a 7100 tractor will require fabricating an attachment point for the rear chain support and mounting the pulley/bracket for the lift.

sbplanetaryrpickle.jpg.becd417e40c5fa439c69b68fbce97274.jpg

I have tried several times to upload my pictures of my sickle mower, following the instructions. I keep getting the error, "No file to upload". I have selected everything as stated. The pics are no more than 640x480. Can someone help this. I'm beginning to fell like a dumby. ?

My sickle bar has 2 pulleys to turn the belt so it goes to the PTO.

rpickle's RBT planetary sicklebar looks much different than mine. Still trying to get pics to upload.

SANY0004.JPG

SANY0005.JPG

SANY0006.JPG

SANY0007.JPG

So much for new technology. Went to my old PC, and I mean 6 yrs old, loaded with no challenge at all. Maybe now you folks can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for your help.

SANY0004.JPG.9d85aa41ef78f26c1432a7f3606ea4b3.JPG

SANY0005.JPG.490b0b65d9e07b845df3f172ee590b24.JPG

SANY0006.JPG.be47f85048625354ad4eaa7690e922d7.JPG

SANY0007.JPG.f9677be687d0e3f36b0b9a30c1f68c98.JPG

It appears you have an older model for tractors without running boards.

It will take some modification to work on your tractor if it even will.

It would be a lot of trial and error and experimenting.

990346 will get you more info.

Look here, choose "select assembly" and you can see some parts diagrams

http://www.superxpower.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SMP#/s/SMP/990346_-_46%22_Sickle_Bar//1

rokon2813, you da man.

990346 is what I have. Thanks, at least now I know what I have. Bought 98 inch belt to get it to work. Belt is still too short. Indicator in the red not green. Maybe belt is still too tight. If a belt is too tight, will that cause it to jump off? I got it to work on my 7119 but belt keeps coming off. Is there a sickle bar made for the 7119? I also have a 7012. Would it work better on there? thanks

The planetary sickle in Ray's photo is what you need for your RBT's (running board tractor's). The 346 just isn't made for your tractor, and will likely self-destruct should you get a belt that stays on.

The sickles for the rbt's are actually fairly rare, so it would be far easier to come up with a FDT (foot dragging tractor)to mate to your sickle! Just my 2 cents!

The sickle you have work well on a FDT I have one. With it's drive belt on the smaller center pto pulley I still only need half throttle. To much RPM's are a no-no.

Yeah, don't try hacking that early sickle bar onto that later tractor. Just really not a way to do it. I picked up a sickle bar at a good price a few years back via a similar situation. Ran into a guy that bought a 7014 with an FDT sickle on it, and he couldn't figure out why it immediately would shred his belt. Easy, it doesn't belong on it. Plus, with the pulley sizing, using the early sickle on a late tractor pretty much doubles the speed that the sickle should run at, which will trash the pitman arm in quick order. Sorry for the bad news, but as suggested above, you now have an excuse to buy an older tractor to run the sickle bar!

• 4 weeks later...

Not really - it will pin on, but the drive isn't really set up to work on the old tractors. If I am right, the speed would be wrong, and the angle for the belt is wrong. Similiar, but kind of opposite problem of using an old sickle on a newer tractor. An old sickle on a newer tractor ends up severely overspeeding it, and the belt angle is all wrong. If you were closer, I would trade for one of my early sickles. Tim

The RBT sickles I've seen start at $300 for a "needs work" pile of parts and go the the limit for a real nice one. Of course local availability plays a role in pricing. There are also two generations of RBT sickle. One has the planetary and the Simplicity sickle with the skinny teeth; the other uses a Simplicity drive and a Haban made bar with triangular teeth (1690030).

As stated above the less expensive (and stressful) option is to buy a FDT for the FDT sickle you have now.

When I was hunting mine I found very little available online, so when I got it I made sure to post videos on youtube. Maybe they'll help answer some "how should it go" questions you may have?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info, Gentleman. Have decided I like the sickle mower so am going to buy a FDT that it will work on. Any ideas what model? doesn't have to be big and powerful. Just one that works with my older sickle mower. By the way, I did mower about 75 feet of tall weeds before the belt popped off. Once it started popping of it happened every 10 feet. So back to finding an old tractor.