Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Headlight bar interference

Cyclone

I have a question on the installation of an headlight bar on my 2012 LL. the style I got is the later style with the drop bends on both sides. If I remove the grill support bolt it will fit flush with the grill cross brace and the sides will clear the hood but of course the grill support bolt interferes.

If I drop the bracket down to clear the bolt head of the grill support the bracket hits the head on the motor.

Ill post up some pics tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should just notch the bar to clear the grill support bracket bolt or is there another possibility. I'm pretty sure it's the original engine so using spacers for a 2012 isn't standard and you need the bar with the drop bends.

Thoughts?

The bolt that connects the grill to the clip coming off the top of the head cover has to be run up; meaning that the head of the bolt is underneath, or toward the ground. The light bar does not mount flush to the grill cross brace. Instead, you put 2 spacers between the light bar and the grill cross brace. Shaft collars just big enough that the bolts that hold the light bar to the bottom of the grill cross brace will do. They will bring the light bar down just fat enough to clear the head of the bolt connecting the grill to the clip coming off the top of the engine.

I'll post pics of mine tomorrow when I get a chance.

Thanks. Ill try 1/4" spacers. I have just over 1/4" of space between the bar and the head of the engine. I thought the original spacers were 1/2 inch. I also notice that the bar I have is bent on one side so the tractor has a lazy eye. Gonna take care of that today.

Here is the clearance without spacers. it is close!!

headlightbarinterference_zpscdd53bf4.jpg

Headlightbarinterference2_zps21b30294.jpg

Hee is the bent bar. It's fixed now but when I mocked it up it made the LL look ill.

Bentheadlightbar_zps42de9bc9.jpg

I had a very hard time doing this on my B12. I loosened the mounting bolts for the grill support and pushed it away and retightened after the brackets were also installed. I did have to run some of the bolts up from below.sm00

I think I took this (grill/light bar/engine) apart at least 3 times to fit this assy ngr2

Good Luck

Well I got the light bar installed with using 1/4" spacers. I have just under 1/16" of space between the bar and the head so It's going to have to be enough.

Thanks for the advice.