Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Convert a Shuttle to plain old 3 speed?

pungo

Did I read here that its not to difficult to convert a shuttle to a 3-speed? Aren't the shuttles a pain to get right?

I have a 16 hp Baron I'm thinking about but the shuttle makes me hesitate.

OrangeMetalGuy

You can swap in a 3-speed rear end in place of the shuttle rear. You can't just remove parts from the shuttle and have it become a 3-speed (for one thing, there isn't any reverse in the transmission, that is done via the shuttle mechanism).

But I think if you follow the owner's manual closely when adjusting the shuttle you will find it works very well.

I am not absolutely sure, but think I heard that a shuttle is the same as a 3-speed in 1,2 and 3. They supposedly removed reverse and replaced it with a 4th gear. You may be able to change it by swapping some parts.

The 4-speed transaxle casting is not machined out for the reverse gear shaft bearings. To convert, you have to disassemble the transaxle and machine the castings to accept the reverse gear cross shaft.

Either find a 3-speed or stick with the shuttle.

The couple of 4-speeds that I have opened up had the main casting (left side) machined but the right side cover was not.

Thanks for that info Mike. I had never been inside one of either the 3-speed or shuttle trannys. Now I know.

By the way, I mow with a shuttle and like it better for my small yard than my hydro, or 3-speed. I am also building a B112 with a shuttle tranny. I don't see any major problems with shuttles, unless you are trying to pull very heavy loads with them. I say this because of the split pulleys and the fact that the load is only transferred on one side of the belt on a shuttle. With a 3-speed it is transferred to both sides of the belt.