Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_in_Oxford

Flo-jet Carbs - stoppping "The Drip"

John_in_Oxford

OK, did the Briggs washer trick - worked until now. That's alright, I'm going to repower soon enough. The replacement engine will have a fuel pump built-in, which means it has an automatic fuel shut-off built-in as well.But what to do meanwhile? I just don't trust me remembering to manually twist that little 1/4 turn inline valve I installed. Seems like the options are:1. Install an external inline fuel pump - vacuum or electric - doesn't matter. Either will act like a shut-off when tractor is off.2. Install a 12v solenoid fuel shut-off.There's a company right here in Marshall MI that makes them - "Advanced Fuel Components Inc."Here's a link to a site that sells a variety:http://www.12voltfuelvalves.com/12-volt-fuel-shut-off-valves.htmlThe next site sells one also, and has just the right specs - I don't know - is it a rebadged version of the others?https://www.altfuel.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=7008A-12VI expect there are members of this forum who have already done much research into this, however it was on my mind this AM, and thought I'd post what I'd found.I also looked into "better" 1/4 turn manual shut-offs: I don't like the way mine flops around by being spliced into the neoprene tubing. And I did find one version that could thread directly into the carb. That would be so much better.EDIT:

7008A-12V.jpg

20-11271.jpg

7008A-12V.jpg.92901ba179d639dd556513d3cba8253b.jpg

20-11271.jpg.4f16feaf0670f918eb978f7a5e343dde.jpg

Rick3410

I know exactly what you mean about remembering to shut off that little red valve. Seems like I'm always going back to a flooded engine with a puddle underneath and damaged paint. I plan on a full restore this winter and it seems like the electric valve may be the ticket.

joelk

Thanks for the links. I have looked a few times for this type of valve, but did not find anything. This looks like the perfect setup, and for $27 it's worth a try.

rich_kildow

Never though about adding the solenoid valve. I like that. No more leaving my hoods open so I remember to turn the fuel back on. I guess that's better than forgetting to shut it off.

John_in_Oxford

Yah, should work just dandy. I forgot to post a part number or link for the manual valve - just google "20-11271 shutoff valve" or "11271 shutoff valve" - should get you some places to buy.

I haven't been able to locate one that has the handle in any other position, but it looks like its a standard ball valve - and well you know - anything one man has put together, another will figure out a way to customize it to the purpose needed.