Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

The evolution of the moldboard plow - updated 8-31

huffy

About two years ago I decided that I wanted to start a garden. So, I needed a plow. They don't pop up on my local Craigslist very often, since not a lot of people in my area have gardens. I looked and looked for a 10" Simplicity or Brinly plow, but none presented themselves. One day I saw a guy throwing away an 8" plow for an old David Bradley walk behind tractor. So, I snatched it and converted it to use on my Landlord:

8 inch plow.JPG

It actually worked really well. The only problem was that the 8" furrow wasn't quite wide enough for my 8.50' tires. Finally last year this 10" Brinly popped up on CL, so I upgraded:

10 inch plow.JPG

The 10" Brinly was perfect behind the Landlord, and all was right with the world. But, I went and screwed things up by buying a Sunstar and becoming seduced by it's power. It filled my head with dreams of a big shaft-driven tiller and, to compliment it, a plow big enough to create a nice furrow that would fit the 26x12x12 AG tires that I plan to buy. So, once again I was on the hunt for a plow. Luckily, Greg Pointon had this big mammer jammer off an old Powermax, so I traded him for it. It looks a little rough now, but there really isn't any pitting and it's going to clean up nice when I sandblast it:

12 inch plow 1.JPG

Yesterday I converted it to work on my Sunstar's sleeve hitch set up:

12 inch plow 2.JPG

12 inch plow 4.JPG

It seems to fit pretty good. The only "tweak" that it might need is that I might have to shorten the lift rod on the hitch an inch or so to give me more lift. Right now there's about 7" of clearance between the bottom of the plow and the ground when it's fully raised. I think that'll be plenty, but we'll see. This weekend I'll take the mowing deck off the SS and give the plow a try. I think it's going to work pretty good. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that the 12" plow doesn't have anyway to adjust the plow's pitch like the 8" and 10" plows did. I'm not sure why that is. Anyway, once I make sure that it works good I'll break it down, sandblast it, polish up the plow face, and give everything a fresh coat of paint.

57e05895cd9be_8inchplow.JPG.ac7fb0ce59b7126f3bd9774bee65436d.JPG

57e05895dab48_10inchplow.JPG.065c0b11cef149024d790f81a9c435e7.JPG

57e05895efaf9_12inchplow1.JPG.7ba48320abbb5a411d0b4eaf642089b8.JPG

57e058960f1f8_12inchplow2.JPG.84d4ed1fd66d1bde3103afa92941a28a.JPG

57e0589624a95_12inchplow4.JPG.d2d324335057eab329295e260af93181.JPG

rokon2813

Nice.

The reason there is no pitch adjustment, is because it is 3 point. The top link on a 3 point can be adjusted for downward pitch and the lower arms can be adjusted for side to side.

So the plow did have it, but all the adjustment was built into the tractor, not the plow.

huffy

That's what I figured. I'll see how it works. If there's any problem, I can convert it to make it adjustable in short order. I'll just weld a "wing" to the top of the bar that holds the plow, then another one to the main beams, and run a threaded rod between them. Removing one bolt that holds the bar that the plow's attached to between the main beams will allow it to pivot as the rod's threaded in and out. In other words, it'll adjust kind of like on the David Bradley.

BLT

Chris here is how I adjusted mine and it was confirmed by Homesteader.

Plow%20adjust.jpg

The top of the landside is even with bottom of tire and the tip of the plow share is downangled tip to back about 1/4".

timflury

Well, on the 10" Brinly plows, the rear tip of the landslide is to be 1" above grade.

Is the gauge wheel adjustable??

The wheel should be 6" above the floor.

Don't forget, different soil/moisture contents will make the plow ack differently.

There is a guy at Brinly that might field questions from us garden tractor enthusiasts. I'm not sure anymore if there's a PDF on their site for the 12" plow.

huffy

Bob:

Thanks. I've seen you post that pic before. In fact, your picture is how I learned how to set up my plow in the first place. :D When I first got that 8" plow pictured above, I did a search on here and read your post about that picture. So, I went out and drove the left side of my LL up on some wood blocks, adjusted it like you've got shown, and commenced to plowing. It worked great! The only difference now is that I'll have to put more blocks under the tires to account for the fact that the 12" plow makes a 6" deep furrow instead of a 4" deep furrow like the 8" plow.

Tim:

Yes, the gauge wheel can be adjusted up or down. Thank you for pointing out that I need to make sure it's adjusted to 6" off the ground before I start plowing. Frankly, I've been so focused on getting it converted to work on my sleeve hitch, and coming up with a design to make the plow's pitch adjustable, that so far I've been overlooking the need to adjust the gauge wheel height.

huffy

Bob:

I wanted to thank you again for posting your pic. Looking at it helped me finalize my design for making the plow's pitch adjustable. Basically, I'm going to make my plow adjust just like yours. That is, I'll remove the curved piece of bar that the plow's attached to now and replace it with a straight one that extends up past the main beams. Then I'll just need to mount something between the top of that bar and the main beams that will allow for adjustment. Something like one of the two lift arm leveling assemblies from TSC below should do the trick.

This one might be a bit big:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-lift-arm-leveling-assembly

But this one looks like it might be just the right size:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-adjustable-leveling-arm

GLPointon

So how'd it do Chris? any wheel spin or other trbls? I'm still wondering if I coulda pulled it with my Sovy..? or not sm01

It looks bad to the bone! Nice job on the fab/adaptation dOd

huffy

Greg:

It worked ok. I still need to alter it so that the plow pitch is adjustable; I think that'll make it work better. The tires spun once or twice, but overall it did really good considering I was just running turfs without chains. I plan to put AG's on it, though, which will solve that problem. The biggest problem that I had was that it was very hard to keep the tractor running straight; the front end kept trying to push over to the right. I think getting the plow adjusted correctly, and adding some weight to the front, will solve that problem, though.

In all, there's some bugs that need to be worked out, but not bad for a test run.

Talntedmrgreen

What's the weight difference between a Sovereign and a Sunstar? Anybody have good #'s? I would be interested to know what kind of real weight is on the front wheels of an SS vs a Sovereign, given Chris's feedback of the pull to the right. I get a little bit of that pulling a 10" on an FDT, but didn't feel it at all behind the 917H. A LH front wheel weight did a way with that all together.

Chris...surprised you didn't hitch to the 2012 for a test run. I'd like to know how that feels. It should pull it alright, if it's heavy enough to get traction. Could be a bear to steer.

huffy

Voila`, adjustable pitch:

12 inch plow adjustment.JPG

12 inch plow adjustment 2.JPG

being able to adjust the pitch should make it plow even better.Next order of business is to get some weight on the front. A friend of mine gave me these weights a while back. I've just got to find time to fab up some racks for the front and back of the tractor, so I can put them on the front when plowing the garden and on back when plowing snow:

Weights.JPG

57e05ecf1d3a0_12inchplowadjustment.JPG.6abf7e84d2b752e150246d59791a1b75.JPG

57e05ecf30277_12inchplowadjustment2.JPG.0fbc3c30006e5b0557443ef20c20145b.JPG

Weights.JPG.4260d9b2a2c963d12399d982e27901fb.JPG

huffy

Well, I tried it again last night. It worked a lot better now that I'm able to adjust the pitch correctly and had the front weight rack installed.

Now I've just got to find time to sandblast it and get it painted.

huffy
quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

What's the weight difference between a Sovereign and a Sunstar? Anybody have good #'s?

id="quote">
id="quote">According to my Operator's Manual, the 20 hp SS like mine weighs 873 pounds without the deck (1108 with the 60" deck/1051 with the 48" deck). With the weight racks I just built, I'll be adding a little more than 160 lbs to the front.I glanced through the Simplicity specs available on this site for the different model Sovereigns, but didn't see any weights given. Maybe someone that has an Operator's Manual for one can chime in.

GLPointon

Nice fab work Chris dOd Are you using the gauge wheel or not needed? It seems like it would work without it...like a larger version of the std plow..?

huffy

Yeah, I use the gauge wheel. I just took it off because I had to take the whole plow apart to weld that one arm on. I just hadn't put the wheel back on when I took the pic.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• abu507
    • GregB
    • PhanDad
    • Tom45
    • tamurmueen
    • lt-scir
    • Brettw
    • SmilinSam
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

• Bubba1997

Bubba1997

Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

Dean McFadden

Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁

· 1 reply
  • Adverts