Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 718 48" Deck Roller shaft broke

Rebmo

On my loyal '78 A/C 718 the deck roller shaft broke at one of the washer pin holes. It was bent slightly when I bought it and It gave way a few weeks ago. I removed the roller assembly and lost the ballpark look and scalping happens more frequently. So, should I buy a steel axle shaft and have the one of the 2 brackets welded to the axle, drill the holes and pin the existing rollers/washers back on. Or, does anyone have a roller axle shaft/bracket assembly to sell or a source?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Reb

Go to Farm-Fleet and get a length of 5/8" cold roll, and then cut off old bar at the welds and weld in new bar. Then use locking collars to hold the ends in.

a new one runs about $61 at SEPW and $63 at Jack's. Should be about the same price minus the shipping at your local dealer. Just letting you know the cost of a new one for reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the new one at at SEPW. Wish I had the time to fab one, but thanks and glad one is available. Strangely enough, I ordered 2 rollers, and found they were almost twice as wide as the ones on the deck roller. The PO must have had a bunch of small ones and none of the wider ones and just put them all on. I used a "wider" roller on one end which based on the cotter pin holes looks like belongs there. My previous shaft broke there and now that I look at it, the small roller allowed a lot of pivot and exposure to the shaft where the wider one will give more support and protection. Anyway, it looks like there should have been wider rollers in the middle too, but I used the 1 wide new one and the rest small with one cut down one from a damage one.

Back up and running with a nice roller set. Now I need to pick up a new shaft to fab a spare roller shaft when time permits.

Thanks all for speeding my roller set back into action!

Reb

I would think that a good design would be to have a sleeve (maybe weld in that pipe nipple) on each roller bracket arm that the rod slides through, and the sleeve should have a set screw. Easy future rod replacement, good rod support, and the rod will stay put when it needs to.

quote:Originally posted by Gordan

I would think that a good design would be to have a sleeve (maybe weld in that pipe nipple) on each roller bracket arm that the rod slides through, and the sleeve should have a set screw. Easy future rod replacement, good rod support, and the rod will stay put when it needs to.

id="quote">
id="quote">That is exactly what I did with my roller assembly. Two set screws on each pipe.Ken

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a welding shop near you they prob have round stock on hand. Thats what I did, I believe it cost me $5-10 for a piece that was 48in long