Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
1111GD1111

Black soot from where?! 14hp Briggs VTwin 294777

1111GD1111

Have a 1996 vintage Simplicity Broadmoor (model 1682414) with a model 294777 B&S 14hp VTwin.

I have black soot coming from somewhere up front!!! The drive and deck belts look just fine. The choke is not engaged...the engine seems to run fine. I pulled off the hood looking for an exhaust leak = none.

Oil (synthetic) level is fine and oil looks good. Plugs look great!

Any ideas as to what to look for? Something rubber in the PTO? Crank seal? This is driving me nuts! :)

BLT

Did you check your belts for chafing? It also looks like soot. You should be a to take a sniff. Either it rubber or petroleum, plastic gemerally melts.;)

1111GD1111

The soot doesn't smell like anything. If the engine was running super rich you think you could smell that.

The crazy thing about the belts is they all look normal. I don't see anything unusual at all. But as fast as it build up and as much as there is, it's got to be a belt. But why?

I guess I can wait for "it" to fail then dig into it.

1111GD1111
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Leak in the exhaust? That will leave black soot on an area.

id="quote">
id="quote">I took the hood and muffler guard off to get a better look at the exhaust. No telltale signs of a leak.

1111GD1111
quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

My son's Broadmoor choke cable came loose on motorhad same problem

id="quote">
id="quote">Did the engine start OK and did it run OK with a loose choke cable?

Ronald Hribar

No It did not start okay. Ran okay

But co

Hoke did not move linkage at all

Possible yours may have left choke in closed position

His was open position

1111GD1111
quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

No It did not start okay. Ran okayBut coHoke did not move linkage at allPossible yours may have left choke in closed positionHis was open position

id="quote">
id="quote">I just checked the choke cable and it seems to be working as it should. I will remove the air cleaner cover later....I think I can see the choke butterfly with it off. If it was running rich, the plugs would be messed up right? The plugs look GREAT!Will post picture links later.

1111GD1111

I just got done doing the following:

1. Removed the fan intake cover and everything looks good.

2. Completely cleaned off the top of the deck with compressed air.

3. Cleaned off several surfaces of the deck so no more "dust".

4. With deck attached, drove around yard several times. No dust buildup.

5. Mowed several passes in yard. Yard is VERY bumpy. Dust started to show on the deck.

6. Stopped moving. Let deck run at full speed while tractor stationary. NO dust buildup.

OK....so I'm thinking that the deck belt is rubbing on something while the deck is bouncing across the yard.

BUT...I had checked all the belts and they looked OK to me.

I pull off the deck hoping to find a chipped/damaged pulley that could be causing the belt to wear. NOTHING!

Lifted the front of the tractor to get a GOOD look underneath (again). NOTHING seems out of the ordinary!

I am at a total loss of what it could be! I've publically stated that I wish the tractor would blow up so I could go out and get a tractor with a 54" deck. Maybe the internet God's are giving me my wish?

1111GD1111

I think the problem may be in fact black mold! Yesterday after putting everything together and mowing, the black dust would literally come and go depending on where I was mowing my 1.5 acres. When I was done mowing I could blow the entire tractor clean using only compressed air.

I'm going to try the test that a poster in another forum gave me. Will keep everybody posted.