Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Neighbors Murray

simplewrench

Last year I got my neighbors 1992 Murray running for him. He took the mower to his dad's hunting property to keep things up. He said it was running fine then died. His wife told him it was smoking real bad underneath before it died. I think I found the problem.

nest.JPG

coil.jpg

Sure hope the little mousey got out first. Well maybe not.

nest.JPG.3f29a409098dfcb6013e014ca86dd244.JPG

coil.jpg.0fbe06b8f5093171c4367aed40a9a7bd.jpg

Never ceases to amaze me how well mice can pack things into such small places. They keep me busy this time of year replacing wires in grain drying equipment.

a "bale of mouse nest" :D just think how many trips they have to make to move that much material into the engine...

If the attachments are raised or removed, then you can make a ring of sheet metal 6" high around all 4 tires so they cant climb up into the tractor

quote:Originally posted by pungo

You would think by now someone here had come up with a solution. I may just have to do it.

id="quote">
id="quote">I may have found a solution to keep mice out of the old cast iron briggs. I started doing this last year. before storing a tractor i pull the sheet metal off the engine head and replace the head bolts. this opens up the coil area that the mice love to make a nest on. the mice don't like it being opened and exposed. I have a B-10 and squire 9 sitting in the shed since last fall and so far no mice in the engine's. I live on 5 acres of woods and fields so i have my share of mice.

extra2M07949401012J14J9.jpg

ive been told that placing dryer sheets around the machine works. apparently mice dont like the smell of it!!!!