Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2013 Simplicity Tractors

leeave96

One of the last threads Al Eden wrote was regarding the 2013 Simplicity tractors and from what I gleaned was that (and someone correct me if I'm off the mark) Al was very excited about the new tractors coming from Simplicity and that Briggs & Stratton was getting their ducks in a row on what a premium lawn and garden tractor was supposed to be.

I was traveling today and stopped into a Simplicity dealer for a quick look-see at some 2013 tractors and Al was right (again). These Simplicity tractors are really nice. Paint, fit and finish looked great. The tractors with suspension looked comfortable. New mesh seat, some had power steering, all were foot control. The 50 inch deck is back and they have some fab decks that look ultra heavy duty.

Now I just need to wear out the tractors I got so I can buy a new one... ;)

Bill

I agree, the new Simplicity Tractors real nice. According to my local dealer, the Broadmoor is a very popular model. You get "more bang for your buck". The frames are heavy like the Conquest and Prestige, but a little lighter transmission and some other things they cut out to keep the price down. So you get a tractor almost as heavy duty as a Conquest for about $1,000 less. Rumor has it, they have more changes in the works for 2014, but not sure what they are yet. I hear the Diesel Legacy XL is done the end of this year.

Word I have heard from the dealer network is that the Legacy is to be discontinued and a larger compact is to replace it to compete with all the small compact 4wd tractors on the market.

Legacy is way too overpriced for its smaller size to compete with the larger, cheaper, more versatile and capable Kubotas, Deeres, Masseys, Bobcats and several others.

Sam,

I am not disagreeing with you, but one can't compare the Legacy and the larger tractors from Kubotas, Deeres, Masseys, Bobcats and others. The primary designed use for the Legacy is mowing. While the other tractors are designed for other uses (front end loader, back hoe etc). Yes a mower is available, but the primary designed use was not for mowing.

That said, the public does compare the Legacy to the brands you mentioned and see the other tractors are cheaper and can do much more right out the door.

So in the end I think Simplicity is on the right track.

Rick.......

It would be interesting to see how Simplicity suspended/mounted the mowing deck to a SCUT tractor like a Kubota. I think if that abandon that, they've lost "The Simplicity Cut".

One work around the Legacy, IMHO, is to offer a 60 inch deck on the Prestige.

Bill

quote:Originally posted by RickS

Sam,I am not disagreeing with you, but one can't compare the Legacy and the larger tractors from Kubotas, Deeres, Masseys, Bobcats and others. The primary designed use for the Legacy is mowing. While the other tractors are designed for other uses (front end loader, back hoe etc). Yes a mower is available, but the primary designed use was not for mowing.That said, the public does compare the Legacy to the brands you mentioned and see the other tractors are cheaper and can do much more right out the door.So in the end I think Simplicity is on the right track.Rick.......

id="quote">
id="quote">The point is people are not buying the Legacy, which is kinda its own thing in the sea of tractor markets. Maybe the Deere X700 series is in the same league, but it may be having the same sale troubles too. The public just seems to be buying either smaller tractors or larger tractors than the Legacy class. Simplicity probably doesnt have a choice other than discontiue it, or lose money making it.Like Bill suggested as a good idea, matching a 60" deck to a prestige is probably what indeed may happen. Its what would make good business sense anyhow.Another thing to consider is that as you said, the Legacy was designed to mow. Well, if you look around , most people who mow are not buying a tractor to mow with these days, they are buying zero turns. Pretty much all the pros who mow for a living in these parts are dragging ZT's on their trailers whereas just a decade ago it was mostly tractors on those trailers.As to Simplicity entering the compact tractor market, well it will be a tough go in my opinion, because there are so many good products out there that there is little room for improvement over what everyone else has already. Only point to compete on really is price, and I just dont see how they could unndercut the prices of some of these machines already on the market.

Sam,

I agree with you people are not buying the Legacy any more. Instead the public is buying zero turns to cut their lawn and a sub-compact tractor for the front end loader and three point it.

In the end in my opinion the public is making a poor choice. A Legacy would be a great fit, but most others don't see it that way.

Simplicity needs to do something to make the Legacy more popular.

Rick......

If Simplicity is smart they don't give up on the Simplicity mowing deck.

I have a B2400 Kubota with a full floating deck (no longer available) that mows and stripes almost as good as my ACs. Others that have compact tractors complain about the poor job their decks do when mowing.

Make a loader that is quick and simple to attach. And a Mid-Mount Grader Blade would seal the deal.

I seem to have read somewhere that the Deere X700 tractors were very good sellers - so much so that they were holding their own against the Deere SCUT tractors.

I do a lot of window shopping just for kicks or maybe to see what I can get for $300 ten years from now instead of spending $10,000 and financing for 3 or more years today...

One of the things, to me, the Legacy brings to the table is probably a more comfortable user platform/ride than the SCUTs and of course since mowing is the primary objective, the Legacy is the choice. I don't know that I'd use a Legacy with a brush hog, moldboard plow - maybe a snow blower or snow plow. The Legacy, just like the Sunstar, gets you into a 60 inch deck. If you are mowing and you stop at 48 inch deck, I'm thinking the Prestige is the way to go. If Simplicity would stick a 60 inch deck on the Prestige - now we are talking about potentially a new tractor purchase.

Bill

I really hope they don't give up on the Legacy XL altogether. Maybe it needs a sheet metal change but leave the rest of it alone. I still like the fact that they still offer that 60" mowing deck. It is a proven deck and cuts excellent. I think the Legacy XL is one of the last of a solid built garden tractor.

Same story today as forty five years ago; the Broadmoor series keeps the dealership doors open. As much as we think of the large-frame tractors, it's the popular small-frames that produce more profit. Volume = business success.