Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power steering

Brettw

I have a question. I looked at a power steering Sovereign. Took it for a test ride. When trying to turn the wheels quickly to the left and back to the right, it seemed the hydraulics couldn't quite "keep up". There was the ease of power steering unless you pushed it too quickly, then resistance until it caught up.

Is this inherent in the way these work, or is there a pump or valve issue? The tractor was running at WOT while I tested it. I can see trying to wheel around trees or a quick turn around and not being able to do so.

Any experienced help in this department would be appreciated.

I don`t have that issue with the two I have. Maybe the filter has never been changed (causing a lag). More than likely isn`t as bad as you think.

Mine change direction as soon as I turn the wheel.

Brett, I have seen several before I bought mine. I think it is an issues with the pressure not being high enough. If its doing what you say then wait until you use the hydraulics with a blower, the ps will just freeze up...

I have a very new Sovereign with power steering. If you just sit in the driveway testing it and try to turn the wheel as fast as you can, it will do as you describe. It is not an issue in actual use. At least it isn't for me.

ive had 4 of them 3 sovereigns and a agco allis and everyone had a freeze now my deutz allis sunstar has no issues but i think it has to do with volume

I have to really be pushing mine to notice any lag...I mean haulin ass, cutting grass. Get to the end of a strip and whip the wheel while quickly changing from fwd to rev and back to fwd...all the while turning full left, then full right, then left again to lay the next stripe. Im thinking 1 of every 3 turn-arounds and the lag will hit. The steering just feels like normal steering for a slit second. Under my normal use, which is still a quick pace...no issue. Im betting volume as well.

Ditto...I get a bit of lag only if my rpm's are too low +/or I'm really pushing her hard.

The PS is so great its worth a minor lag occasionally IMO dOd