Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller help

ac.d17iv

I'm trying to install a tiller on my AC 712H for the first time, but the top idler pulley rubs on the seat pan. What am I doing wrong?

tiller%2520hitch.jpg

tiller%2520hitch%25202.jpg

In your second pic, the "wrinkle" right above the mount tells me the seat pan is bent down on that side, probably both sides.

If you straighten it, the pulley probably won't rub.

That and I don't think the original top idler pulley was that wide....

Try the hole behind the first one that you have the bottom pin in. That is the correct hole for the pulley bracket and it would not rub the seat pan if it wasn`t bent. Either way it is pinned to the wrong hole.

Thanks all for the help. I was able to bend it back so it works and I'm using the correct hole for the pin now. Can someone post a picture of the clearance you have between the idler pulley and fender? I know my fender was bend some, but didn't realize it was that bad.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the help. Got everything mounted, but now my problem is keeping the tension on the belt. Here is a picture. Seems like I'm missing something to keep the down pressure on the idler pulley?

tiller%2520hookup.jpg

Looks to me that your tiller is originally an fdt tiller as it looks as though it once had a clutch lever. Note the 2 little studs near the lift point, that's where the clutch lever would pivot.

I'm fairly certain that you should be able to modify this to work behind an rbt with the cone clutch, but I've never done this.

I believe that on the rbt tillers the idler on the tiller is in a fixed position? Or at least spring tensioned. This might explain the lack of belt tension.

It is a sovereign tiller - 1690039. I have the belt and pulleys working now it appears, just need to fix my solenoid problem now.