Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fiber DIsk Differences

laytonlight

I recently bought the disk to replace the one that broke on my Landlord and noticed a difference between the new Briggs part and the old one.

disks-sm-01.jpg

The difference in diameter is significant. The old disk, the one on the left, is drilled to adapt it to a Kohler Magnum 14 that was installed in the Mutt by the PO. Anyone notice this difference in size when replacing a disk? It's easier to see in this photo:

disks-sm-02.jpg

When I was replacing the BGB end disk that was broken I noticed that the front one made a clicking sound when moved and there was evidence of delamnination. So I drilled the one I stole off of my Landlord 2010 (middle in the photo) to match the cracked one and used it to replace the prior one.When installing it I thought I would just go ahead and stack the two altered disks together on the engine end as they have more holes in them than factory. I'm thinking this will strengthen the setup. I am going to make up the difference by moving the yoke back a hair further on the BGB shaft. I'll tighten down the engine end first and then the BGB end and then tighten the yoke to the BGB shaft to remove the chance of stress on either end.Anyone see any problems arising from doing this?

disks-sm-01.jpg.82cebd40db73feba189cc3e355430b27.jpg

disks-sm-02.jpg.760a474e66ab39ba98b652cd539655df.jpg

Kind of odd. I have a box full of them. With the two different size O.D.`s but the hole patterns are the same on all of them. The smaller Diameters were of the FDT I believe and the larger were off RBT`s or vise versa. Never parted out a powermax so I know none of mine came from one of them.

Just to clarify: The hole patterns in all of the above disks are the same. I had to drill a new set of four to get them to line up with the Kohler engine and the drive shaft. That's why I decided to go ahead and sandwich the two larger ones at the engine end as they had four more holes drilled in them. Hopefully it will make it stronger and hold up. During a test firing and a short drive across the shop they held up and looking at them spinning they produce a fine line at the edge, so I know there's no warp in them. I used the torque wrench this time also at 20 ft/lbs. Tomorrow I will test them on 2 acres of fairly tall grass. At least my deck is at its highest now, with the new rollers. :D