Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
laytonlight

Fiber DIsk Differences

Recommended Posts

laytonlight

I recently bought the disk to replace the one that broke on my Landlord and noticed a difference between the new Briggs part and the old one.

disks-sm-01.jpg

The difference in diameter is significant. The old disk, the one on the left, is drilled to adapt it to a Kohler Magnum 14 that was installed in the Mutt by the PO. Anyone notice this difference in size when replacing a disk? It's easier to see in this photo:

disks-sm-02.jpg

When I was replacing the BGB end disk that was broken I noticed that the front one made a clicking sound when moved and there was evidence of delamnination. So I drilled the one I stole off of my Landlord 2010 (middle in the photo) to match the cracked one and used it to replace the prior one.When installing it I thought I would just go ahead and stack the two altered disks together on the engine end as they have more holes in them than factory. I'm thinking this will strengthen the setup. I am going to make up the difference by moving the yoke back a hair further on the BGB shaft. I'll tighten down the engine end first and then the BGB end and then tighten the yoke to the BGB shaft to remove the chance of stress on either end.Anyone see any problems arising from doing this?

disks-sm-01.jpg.82cebd40db73feba189cc3e355430b27.jpg

disks-sm-02.jpg.760a474e66ab39ba98b652cd539655df.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayS

Kind of odd. I have a box full of them. With the two different size O.D.`s but the hole patterns are the same on all of them. The smaller Diameters were of the FDT I believe and the larger were off RBT`s or vise versa. Never parted out a powermax so I know none of mine came from one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
laytonlight

Just to clarify: The hole patterns in all of the above disks are the same. I had to drill a new set of four to get them to line up with the Kohler engine and the drive shaft. That's why I decided to go ahead and sandwich the two larger ones at the engine end as they had four more holes drilled in them. Hopefully it will make it stronger and hold up. During a test firing and a short drive across the shop they held up and looking at them spinning they produce a fine line at the edge, so I know there's no warp in them. I used the torque wrench this time also at 20 ft/lbs. Tomorrow I will test them on 2 acres of fairly tall grass. At least my deck is at its highest now, with the new rollers. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Glenn_Galle
      Glenn_Galle
      (76 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

    • Bubba1997

      Bubba1997

      Searching for a Sleeve hitch and breaking plow and other equipment if price is right and also a deck for a B1 thank you 
      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×