Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ac.d17iv

Solenoid

ac.d17iv

My AC 712 hasn't been firing right off and now the solenoid is either making no sound or a clicking sound. The starter isn't getting anything. I cleaned battery cables and cables to solenoid and starter last night. Seemed to help and fired right off. Now again tonight, same problem. Is the solenoid bad?

AC82

I would say you are on the right track. Make sure you have 12V from the key switch at the solenoid. If you do when turning the key, then your solenoid is definitely bad.

HubbardRA

A fully charged 12V battery is really at 12.73V. A battery at 11.96V is only at a 40% charge.

If the battery voltage is low, the solenoid will only click on some tractors.

The two tractors that I use most will not click, they just won't turn the engine over if the battery is low.

The last one I had that clicked was actually a bad solenoid and not a low battery.

allis579

Test your ignition switch first, they can get touchy.

By pass the ignition sw by going from the battery to the small terminal on the selonoid. Ing sw 1/2 the cost of a selenoid. Bob

Brettw

If you do buy a solenoid, check NAPA. There isn't anything special or proprietary to the Simplicity solenoid, and NAPA will be much cheaper. Same thing used in cars for years and years.