Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sispro

Paint Thinning

sispro

I am wanting to make sure I get this paint thin right so hope someone can help me

This is simplicity paint

on the can it says to reduce all enamels approximately 15% with xylene

so this is what I got 1 qt but how much is 15% xylene

Thank you

MikeES

You don't want to dilute the whole quart right away. Only a spray guns worth or what you will use in the next few hours.

If you had a graduated container/beaker. Pour in 100ml of paint and 15ml of xylene. I recommend xylene as I have had some paint thinners that curdled the Simplicity enamel.

Xylene evaporates fast, so your paint can dry too fast if the temperature is high and humidity is low.

I don't measure, I make the paint about the consistency of milk.

RayS

I used Xylene when I did my Deutz Allis. It worked well. I used MEK to reduce the paint on my Allis 917H. No problems with that either. I would also get a hardner from TSC. It is expensive. Around $15 for 8 oz. but the paint does dry faster but gasoline won`t bother the paint if you use it either.

I did some of the Deutz with Naptha because the AGCO can said to use AGCO thinner. Checked into what the AGCO thinner was and it turned out to be expensive Naptha that you can get at any home improvement store for about half the cost. It dried slower with the hardner in it. Probably because it has oil in it.

Xylene dries or evaporates a little slower than MEK. The Naptha is good for cleaning the gun when your finished painting.

32 ounces paint X 15% = 4.8 ounces of Xylene.

RayS

You don`t have to but you can. It will make the paint more durable to the chemicals in gas, among other advantages(if spilt on the hood).

dhardin

Most paint suppliers Like NAPA sell a paint measuring stick. It has 4 different graduated scales of different paint to thinner ratios on it. The one I have is aluminum and works well.

Thin paint is the paint suppliers recommendations for versus types of applications and guns used. I found with my gravity feed gun I do not need to than as much as advised.

Less thinner means lest ability for runs.

goatfarmer
quote:Originally posted by RayS

You can`t mix lacquer thinner with enamel paint.

id="quote">
id="quote">....but it's great for cleanup!