Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax deck

gitrdun

i just started a rebuild on the deck from my newly acquired 9020. this deck has been abused and then buried for a few years. i had a little sticker shock when i priced all the necessary bearings, washers, shields, springs etc. for the spindles. is there any other options for spindles on these decks? how many years does a rebuild last if i go the original route?

thanks

keith

There is no other option for spindles that I am aware of. You can save money if you pull a spindle out of the deck and check the bearing number on the race and go to a bearing supply house. Washers, shields and springs, I would buy from a simplicity dealer.

I have seen decks that had the original bearings in them after 35 - 40 years. They more than likely didn`t get much use. How long they would last would depend on how many hours a year would be put on a deck and how well they were taken care of.

I bought my Prestige new in 2001 or 2002. It has the original bearings and has around 550 hours on it.

I just got done with my mower. I made new shafts as mine was pitted badly.I got the bearings from my local bearing house for about $60 for all the bearings plus the thrust bearings.I had the thrust bearings in stock.After I was done the engine maks more noise than the deck ,one of the quietest decks that there is out there.

• 4 years later...

Can you give me the part numer for the bearings? I am rebuild my deck and want to replace everything except spindles, so any or all numbers would really help out

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 6:58 PM, ka9bxg said:

I just got done with my mower. I made new shafts as mine was pitted badly.I got the bearings from my local bearing house for about $60 for all the bearings plus the thrust bearings.I had the thrust bearings in stock.After I was done the engine maks more noise than the deck ,one of the quietest decks that there is out there.

What did you make the spindle shafts out of?  Must be some pretty good material or have access to heat treatment to withstand needle bearings.  How much has it been run since installing the fabbed spindle shafts?

I too sourced parts locally and saved a lot of money...though I did end up buying one spindle complete from a member hear because the spindle housing was beyond shot.

The 60 deck sure mows nice. Leaves a beautiful finish, nicer than the 48" on the 716H I have.

I just got my powermax mowing grass and it impressed me also and my blades are beyond wore out r the blades still available along with the pulleys on the mule drive 

While on the subject of decks. I was doing the spring service on my two 60" decks today.  I happened to notice one has a 6" top drive pulley, and the other has an 8" pulley.  Otherwise decks appear identical.  One is an early 620, and the other is a late production 9020.  Has anyone ran into this?