Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Convert Front Dozer to Belly Blade?

pungo

I came upon an ancient Post talking about converting a front adjustable angle dozer blade to a belly blade, but never could find a link to how they did it.

Is this something anyone here knows about? I know anything can be done with a hacksaw and a welder but is this relatively doable by a do-it-yourselfer with limited skills? Thanks!

My observations:

If you wanted to convert a plow to a grader blade, and had the fab resources to do so, I don't think it's a big project.

The grader blades are very heavy material, much heavier than the plow. I still believe the plow would be fine.

Depending upon your intent, grading gravel, digging and cutting high spots, etc., then you would want the cutting edge "forward". If you were grading off topsoil to flatten an area, then I would think simply cutting the top off of the plow blade so it clears the underbelly of the tractor, and running it "backwards" would do the nicest job of grading soil in that way. In that case, you would have even less fabrication work. Just the cutting off the top of the blade. (and would likely have to deal with the bracket that accepts the lift rod. It would have to go.

Maybe a non-trip would be easier. I envision a 4-bolt flange would work either way. Brett, you may be on to something the more I think about it.Move the plow edge to the rear side and use it backwards. I like that,more control, less resistance.Thanks for the measurements Mr. Green and the inspiration everyone. A Dozer/plow blade is just not a handy item in the South.

The mid mount grader blade for my Homelite is about 8" tall and 36" wide. I don't have one but I have a old dozer blade I am going to cut down to make it work. The Homelite has Foot Boards so I am going to use a piece of angle iron on the top and to attach two sturups (one each side) to put your feet on to create down pressure. In my parts manual it shows this clearly. Just need to cut the blade down with a sawzall and remove the original mount from the blade an re attach it to the other side. Mounting is the same. Frame length is tha same on the one I have. Roger.