Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Going rate for tri-ribs

OrangeMetalGuy

On the stock wheels on a large-frame (Allis 716H)... anyone bought these recently?

Last winter I swore I would do something about my inability to steer in snow. Turfs just plow straight ahead.

I agree there with you on the turfs. But I use the AG style on front and they seem to do a fine job. Never thought about triribs in snow. But I don't think they won't be much better then a turf tire. That's just my thought on this.. But someone I know has to have tried them and they can say if I'm wrong. I always open to find out something new.

There are threads where the guys swear by them. Never used them myself. I always aired up the tires and just tapped the hydro lift and did fine. I know guys put a chain around the center of a turf too and aired it up and said it helped...

In snow, triribs are great...reversed ags are better. But...the ags tear thecensored1.gifout of turf during the warm months. I have a set of ags mounted up and pull the rims come spring, and put my turfs back on. Triribs are much gentler on turf, but will still carve soft ground when turing quickly. They are leaps ahead of turfs in snow.

I like both varieties.

As I recall, the Firestones are the truly beefy looking ones, and they are hard to come by. And, they are about a buck and a half a pair, not cheap!

I run Tri-ribs on my snow plow tractor and I really like them.

I've never had ags so I can't compare but I'm happy

with what I have, no need to change.

I switched from turfs to tri ribs for snow duty last year. Big, big difference. I've not tried reversed AG's like Josh mentioned, but he's not the only person I've heard say that they work even better than tri ribs.

I also agree that tri ribs work great

And ag tires work great also

I have ag tires on front of my 4wd Prestige, not reversed

As for not being able to turn

when you have blade or blower sitting solidly on ground

there is no weight on front tires

Reversed ags will steer better in snow, because the ends of the lugs contact the ground first and bite, allowing you to turn.

In either case, the narrow 4.00/4.80 x 8 will work better than the wider ones...

What about studded mud/snow tires? Or front chains?

Also, what should be the min load rating for the front tires for snowplow/blower? Seems like you give up some load capacity as you go to a narrower wheel and tire.

An old trick my dad did back in the day with his Case 446 turf tires, he would deflate the tires a bit and put on a v-belt. Aired up the tire to lock the belt in-place. Worked great 'cuz those turf tires it had were the very smooth kind and there was no steering authority with the blower mounted.

Last year I tried ATV, Dunlop 25-8 X 12 tires on 6-12 rims for drive wheels and snowblower "Snowhog"4.80 X 8 tubed for steering,

912%20blower.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised how well they handled the task. Snowhog tires were free (scrap snowblower), $20 for rims and $24 for tubes. For rears, $38 for tires and $20 for rims.

It will probably act somewhat like an AG lug would. I can see it helping in snow, but rubber on ice is still rubber on ice. Might help bite into hardpack stuff. I think they are simply used when pavement damage is a concern.

I've not used the rubber "chains," but like Josh I suspect they would be little different from AG's. I've tried AG's, and they only really helped early in the year before thawing/re-freezing created a layer of ice under the snow. Once that happened, trying to use the AG's was like trying to walk to your favorite ice fishing hole with a pair of rubber-soled boots with a real aggressive tread - just didn't work because the rubber won't bite into the ice. Chains are like strapping crampons onto the bottom of your boots, they bite into the ice (assuming you have enough weight).

Ice is a totally different issue from snow...

IMO, only chains or studs work on ice - period...

As far as snowblower tires, I'm running dual 4.80x8 X-Trac snowblower tires on my Gravely walkbehind, and am pretty pleased with them. They may be something to consider for the fronts. Look at the tread pattern, which combines "studs" with "lugs" and both of those patterns are hollow-centered so the tread will flex and clean out...

8-12764_1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Kent

Ice is a totally different issue from snow...

id="quote">
id="quote">Well, where I'm at they are inextricably linked. :D

Originally posted by huffy
quote:
id="quote">I can relate. I didn't mind cleaning up after big snowstorms -- in fact hearing the cast-iron Briggs with its full-throated roar on governor was one of my favorite tractor chores. It was cleaning up after the frequent (often daily/nightly) 1"-3" snowfalls to prevent it from packing down and turning into ice was what I hated. The lull after a big storm when everyone was digging out was one thing -- but dealing with the frequent small accumulations before going to work got to be a real PITA...Last winter, I just waited until it melted down South... :D

quote:Originally posted by RickS

Kent,I like the look of that tire. In fact I may switch my Legacy over to that tire.Rick.......

id="quote">
id="quote">They're about the same price as the Snow Hogs, just a bit harder to find...