Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Dust Storm

JimB

I have a Deutz 1918 (18hp Sunstar that thinks it's a vegetable)with a 48 inch deck. The minute I engage the deck, I'm in a dust storm. I mow one acre and have brush the lawn refuge off and take a shower to even feel or look human. Anybody else experiencing this or have a solution.

JB

this is just a hunch but check your blades to see if there on upside down i did this in the spring and it was like a dust storm. the end of the blade should pitch up

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG.ce9ee83c3c543966d56471b5fbe1066c.JPG

I have the stock deflector in place and the blades are right side up but badly worn and in need of sharpening or being replaced. I'm gonna put a new set of blades on it before I mow again.....I hope that helps!

My dad purchased one of the very first Sunstars, way back when. His big gripe was the fact that it was so dusty when cutting. Engineers from Port Washington came out and looked into it. To this day I don't recall what we did with that tractor. I remember the Sovereigns like it was yesterday, but I don't think we had the Sunstar for very long. I am thinking they took it back and we ended up with another Sovereign.

Maybe they had a few early deck designs that were messy? If they are a 48" deck, it's hard to believe since they are basically the same design as a 48" Sovereign deck.

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

My newer Broadmoor does that, but I have recycling blades on, and the mulching plate in place.

id="quote">
id="quote">My older 38" Braodmoor also does this. I have Gator blades on and the deck "closer" plate on.

Come on guys.

If you are mowing where there is loose dirt and dust

you are going to kick up loose dirt and dust and even grass

clippings if your mowing grass.:D

It's the law of Murphy, and it can't be repealed.:o)

The 42" deck for my LL does that. Blows stuff everywhere; it's miserable. But, I don't have any such problem with the 60" deck on my Sunstar. I can mow for hours with it and stay nice and clean. I'm not sure what difference, if any, there is between the 60" and 48" Sunstar decks, other than the width.

Does the 48" deck have three blades like the 60"? I know that on my 60" one of the 3 blades is different, and you have to make sure it gets put on the correct arbor. So, you might want to double check that if the same is true for the 48" deck.

Yes, it does have 3 blades but they are all the same (confirmed by the parts book). I had a Duetz 612 (also made by Simplicity) and I could have mowed in a suit and tie and headed to a funeral without even brushing myself off. I mow with the 1918 and I feel like I'm wearing more than I cut!

I just aquired a DA 1920 w/ a 48" deck and noticed the dust storm also compaired to my HB112 w/a 48" deck. Could it be that the deck on the DA is spinning faster? I am not sure it is but it sounds like it is.

My John Deers X 500 with a 48 inch deck along with my Cyclone Rake Vacuum attached on the back also can cause a dust storm. I try to vacuum when it is damp or after a light rain. This Cyclone Rake works well under these conditions compared to the Sim or Allis vacuum attachments because of the tremendous suction with the 6 HP engine. Vinnie

• 2 weeks later...

My 48in Sovereign deck with Gator or OE Blades is a huge dust storm if I am on anything other than my lush green GRASS directly behind my house, the lawn/weed/sand burr section of my way back backyard is another story.

I have a roll of used conveyor belting that I been saying I am gonna cut a piece off and attach to the front of the deck to help seal off from blowout.

Anyone know if that actually helps or am I creating other problems ?