Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two new items for decorating the Shop

Talntedmrgreen

Picked these up this week. I've become a suker for dealer signs, and I found this one quite some time back, on CL down in Ft Wayne, IN. It's my favorite by far...I love the older script, it doesn't take up an entire wall, and is MUCH older (and cooler, IMO) than the other signs I have. It appears to be a double sided porcelain with some painted accents (shadows added to lettering). It's in pretty good shape, probably from the Walking Tractor era.

20130825_153528.jpg

And the other piece, fits nicely into my tractor memorabilia and my Zippo lighter collection. It's a 1958 Zippo 'Regular' lighter, with Simplicity Wonderboy advertising in 2 colors (black & red). It's in used, but pristine condition.

20130825_153300.jpg

Sits happily beside my 1973 Allis 'Slim' Zippo

20130825_153312.jpg

They changed the script on the brochures around 1959, I believe. The script on teh Wonderboys I've had, is the same font as used through the roundhood Landlords. Prior to that, they were not italicized. Font was similar, but the letters stood upright, and the patent insignia was oriented differently. Also, the 'Y' dropped the long, underlining tail. Dunno how old it is...there's no indication of mfg or year on either side. The other side is very dark, and had a spot where someone attempted to clean it, and it lost some finish. My gut would say '50's, but who knows, it could be older. They were in their hayday of walking tractors by the late '40's, and this style logo was used as early as the Turner hit and miss engines, I beleive.