Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Diesel Powered MacKissic Chipper

Talntedmrgreen

I've looked for one of these Mac chippers for quite some time. I had a shredder unit, and it worked great for small stuff, like shredding stuff I yanked out of the landscaping, running plants from the garden through it, but it wouldn't do limbs of any size really...twigs and such, but nothing much larger, and I'm living in a forest since moving last fall. It was time to upgrade.A member out East was gracious enough to work with me on having this picked up by my carrier, and to MI it came. I felt like a dog begging to be let out for a leak, and my wife finally gave me the nod to steal a few minutes for a bit of fun work. I had long enough to get it mounted (It's HEAVY), find an old tiller belt, and rig the idler so it ran snug (I'm missing the tensioner piece, need dimenions), and I was off out back to the woodlot.For the curious, I did throw on my firearm glasses and ear plugs. I think I use them more these days for tractor work, than for keeping up on my shooting skills, but I do appreciate being able to see and hear (these diesels are LOUD and worth it). This is a mean piece of equipment, and loose clothing or drawstrings probably ought to stay in the shop. The vid clips are really about all I had time for...the boss was standing up by the house with a baby on her hip, and could clearly see me through the trees. There's a trick to stuffing limbs in there with one hand, and you don't want to drop your phone! I'm thinking using both hands should go real well.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwEXOOm-Vzwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Bi4IVbMBs

20130825_200446.jpg

20130825_200506.jpg

20130825_200435.jpg

Josh,

I'm not lucky enough to have one with flywheel for chipping, yet I found

that some well aged bark, that always accumulates during the log splitting process, provides some excellent compost for mulching. I'll see if I can take some pics of the "tiller like" pulley and tensioner piece on mine.

Happy "playtime"

Wayne

I found that I can chip much better without the chute on the flywheel side. This allows you to place the limb in the hole so that it hits the sweet spot for the cutter to just eat the wood like butter. Once you get the technique down, you will grab a limb, hit the chipper, then toss the remnants in the shredder, and grab another limb. I got my chipper/shredder for $250 and sure am glad I grabbed it at that price.

I have maple trees and during a year, I will get enough dead limbs to make enough mulch for all my wife's flower beds. The mulching process does take a lot longer that one would think it would. Also the amount of mulch is much less than I thought I would get from a large pile of limbs.

You're right Rod, a pile of limbs (especially limbs with leaves on) turns into a very tiny pile of mulch. The unit does a fine job, and I think I know what you mean about that sweet spot on the chipper. Ditching the chute will make things faster, but having it in place was the only way I could run limbs through one-handed.

It's another in a long line of attachments that works extremely well. I'm pleased, to say the least. Gotta wear a hat though...like the Weedcutter, you'll end up with stuff in your hair (if you have any).

Josh,For me getting a hair cut is very literal!:o).Here are a couple shots of my drive-tensioner.view from the left side.

Dscn0620.jpg

view from the right side.

Dscn0622.jpg

There is a compression spring missing between the set-collar andthe pivot.:(Cheers,WayneI had the PC volume up, and the sound on the first video almost knocked me out of my desk chair...}:)

Dscn0620.jpg.2bc322fe28babd908fdcace2e38389be.jpg

Dscn0622.jpg.b270295763713dd15ba05346913d8406.jpg

Josh that is cool to have I'd like one to not like I would get much use out of it.

But I always have a basement I can fill up as well. And that's the best thing I got that idea form someone can't recall who?? Haha

Thanks Wayne! That's the best pic I've seen of the missing pieces. The spring should be an easy part to source. I might have to ask for a ruler to be help up beside a few of those lengths of steel. I need a bit more belt tension on mine. It works the way it is, but one end of my spring is connected to the chpper, the other, to the PTO. I'd prefer to not have them linked.

It is loud. I put earmuffs on Jr, and his morhter had him probably 50 or so feet way...his eyes were big as saucers when that thing fired up (so were his mother's). He does real well with the ear muffs...doesn't fuss with them at all.

No, but it added effect to the video! I love the scream of that Lombardini. You know what Im talkin about ;)

Very cool attachment Josh...dOd

Does the same grinding aparatice do both jobs? Or is there a blade(s) for small stuff and a seperate chipper for the branches?

I have 2 giant Chinese Elms which drop a cartload of branches every few wks...and lots of maples...Will that chop up garden debris like corn stalks & plants too??? Very usefull if so

I WANT ONE! :D

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Very cool attachment Josh...dOdDoes the same grinding aparatice do both jobs? Or is there a blade(s) for small stuff and a seperate chipper for the branches?I have 2 giant Chinese Elms which drop a cartload of branches every few wks...and lots of maples...Will that chop up garden debris like corn stalks & plants too??? Very usefull if so I WANT ONE! :D

id="quote">
id="quote">Greg to answer for Josh, In the shredder cavity there are multiple blades, like in a hammer mill. The chipper is a flywheel with blade(s)not unlike other chippers ( in the square enclosure on the side of the shredder, the chips feed through into the shredder).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Snojetter
    • JAV13037
    • andrew68
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts