Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Regent transaxle slips

japper

Recently I purchased a Simplicity Regent.

It has a gear shift lever under the front of the seat but the label on the side of the tractor hood reads Simplicity Regent turbo 12

Anyhow, the tractor works just fine at first but the transaxle slips after I use this tractor for 15 or 20 minutes.

Not sure if it is a heat related issue or what but when this happens, the tractor will not move in forward or reverse.

Does this mean a bad transaxle or is there anything else I can check?

thanks

Welcome to the club. The Regent has had a couple of transmission vendors over the years. If you can supply a product number found on th LH front frame rail, i.e.169XXXX, we can zero on what you have and try to find an answer.

Thanks BLT...

The product number for this tractor is 1692259 and the serial number is 4128 (in case there are any cut off revisions by serial #)

Thanks again

When you say "gear shift", is this a gear driven tractor or a Hydro? What you describe sounds like a bad hydro. Most of the Regent Hydro's were not "serviceable" and therefor it is likely, with what you describe, if it is a hydro, that it is shot.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

When you say "gear shift", is this a gear driven tractor or a Hydro? What you describe sounds like a bad hydro. Most of the Regent Hydro's were not "serviceable" and therefor it is likely, with what you describe, if it is a hydro, that it is shot.

id="quote">
id="quote">It is a Hydro, but it appears as the gear shift models did with the lever below the front of the seat. (hence my confusion)When you say the Hydro is not serviceable, are you referring to the whole transaxle or just a portion of it?If I need to replace the Hydro, where can I find a good one cheap and what models will work for this? Is there markings on the hydro unit and if so, where are they located?Also, if anyone has a link to a parts diagram for this tractor, I would appreciate seeing that.Thanks again!

Your trans is likely manufactured by Tuff Torque or Hydro Gear. There are kits to rebuild some of them, but for the most part, it is not worth the money. You may find a replacement on Craigs or E-Bay, etc., but who really knows what you are getting. Your cheapest route may be to find an inexpensive tractor with the same transaxle.

This is the down side of these cheaper tractors and transmissions. When they go, they generally aren't really worth fixing. IMO

I would certainly check all of the idler pulleys. Many plastic pulleys will let the belt migrate in too far. In some cases, I have seen that the "v" of the belt was actually riding on the inside of the pulley.

quote:Originally posted by simple_stan

I would certainly check all of the idler pulleys. Many plastic pulleys will let the belt migrate in too far. In some cases, I have seen that the "v" of the belt was actually riding on the inside of the pulley.

id="quote">
id="quote">Did this sort of thing happen to your tractor where it wouldn't move after 15 or 20 minutes or did the tractor never move?

I'm with Brett on this one. Regent may have the simplicity name and cut, but its a price point machine and not one that will have much longevity.