Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Albina

Kohler K341 Issues

Albina

I was working with my AC 416H Saturday and was thinking how good the engine was running. Got to some high grass where it really had to work. The engine started making a high "pinging' sound almost like a knock on an automobile. I shut it down immediately. Oil level was fine. Started tractor again and it constantly stalled unless I pulled the choke at which point it would run. Limped back to the barn and shut off engine. Sunday, it fired right up, Seems okay.

Any ideas of what I should look for. Motor was re-built abot 4 years ago.

Thanks

maxtorman1234

I used to have that problem with k341's under heavy load if the timing wasn't perfect, its been so long since I looked at a set of points I can't remember but you can adjust the gap to get the timing right on. Don't know why it wasn't running right after unless it was too hot. Timing fan be set with a timing light if you have one, but someone else could tell you better, and if you search for the engine service manual I believe it is all in there.

powerking_one

Richard,

The per spec (and prefered way) to set the point gap is via a timing light. There is an "S" mark on the flywheel which can be viewed through removal of a dust cap in the blower housing ~~ at the 3 o'clock flywheel perspective position. Setting the point gap to about 0.020" is usually a good starting point and works well under normal engine conditions, but using a timing light is the best fine tweak.

Tom (PK)

CooterDavenport

I agree, .020" is an initial set point to get it running. A timing light is the only way to get it where it needs to be. I've had to move some quite a bit to make the engine happy

Albina

Thanks for all your help

Will do, Yes the engine was really working. As they say in Maine, it was "wicked hot".

Rick

Oh by the way, just found an AC trailer with a custom sheet metal hood for the blower unit that goes with the tractor. The quality of the tin work is terrific. The owner only wanted $40. Its now sitting on my other unit.

Thanks again

MikeES

If you don't have a timing light try .018". I have found most the Kohlers run better at .017 to .019 than at .020. They will definitely lug better (experience with our pulling tractors) than at .020".