Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Never seen this before...

SmilinSam

..Not in any of my other refurbishments.Adds a whole nother level of difficulty to cleaning up:D

DSCN0056_zps787dcf75.jpg

Gray moly grease, hand smeared on all the interior dash surfaces. Even the undersides of the battery and fuel tank mounts were covered along with the entire steering column.What do you suppose the thinkig was behind this gooey endeavor?

I got this from a cub cadet guy (same guy I'm working a trade for the AC generator)that got it from someone else. He aint seen nuthin like that before either.

Took me 2 hours of engine degreasing, dawn dish soaping, & powerwashing to get it all off tonight.

Other than a worn hole on the lift shaft arm for the snowblade, this tractor shows relatively no wear to any of the normally worn parts on a used 917. Its an early one, serial number isnt too much over 1000

Whoever, and whyever...the 'installation' of that was quite the job. It probably took more time to get the grease in all the nooks and cranny's, than it takes me to get the 'normal' grime off a a tractor. Wow...sm00

Maybe battery corrosion problem. I bought a 7119 that would get that stuff everywhere in there, battery was from advance or auto zone or somewhere like that I would clean that thing 4 or 5 times a year put a Interstate in it a year ago so far been good.

At least a little gasoline and a stiff brush will remove it in a few minutes. Better than spending hours trying to remove rust from an exploded battery like I had to do on one of mine.

When I went through the Sovereign that my dad bought last spring I took out the battery and gas tank to clean out behind them (somehow it got filled with mud grass clipping that then dried) I washed it all out and let it dry out in the hot sun. Then before I put it back together, I sprayed some of this stuff all over the metal. SHould be a little less messy than grease all over everything, but I think it will be good in the long run.

[/img]

http://www.amsoil.com/shopres/products/270px/AMH.jpghttp://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/heavy-duty-metal-protector/

quote:Originally posted by FlashandFlare

Been using Fluid Film, works amazing and has many diff application.http://www.fluid-film.com/

id="quote">
id="quote">Fluid Film is great stuff. I just sent a picture to them and got a free T-shirt. face book free T-shirt giveaway. they even will send you a free sample if your newbie sm01

554976_10151683405221056_641002577_n.jpg