Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelw23

3415s started sputtering but idles fine

joelw23

i took apart the carb and cleaned it..everything seemed ok...

it worked fine most of the day mowing yesterday and then started doing this..

any ideas??

Here is a video.

I changed the fuel filter and the issue is still there, but if i let it run for 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes the issue goes away..sometimes not.

joelw23
quote:Originally posted by RayS

Have you tried adjusting the high speed jet richer? Is the fuel line restricted? Is the screen in the tank restricted? What type of fuel filter did you put on it?

id="quote">
id="quote">yes i have adjusted the high speed jet.. I will have to take out all of the fuel lines and the tank to check those next...I'm new to this..didn't know there was a screen at the tank..I put a fuel filter like this in.http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-691035-Selected-Engines/dp/B0035PVVBY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1377733294&sr=8-8&keywords=fuel+filter

powerking_one

Joel,

To me this sounds like an ignition problem listening to the video(spark-plug first), points/condenser possibly the magneto coil primary intermitantly shorting out somewhere. If you have an in-line spark tester or a timing light, see if this roughness coincides possibly with a spark dropout.

BTW, what's up with that whacky muffer; I'd think think the Simplicity engineers would be raising an objective " eyebrow" over this one.

Tom (PK)

joelw23
quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Joel,To me this sounds like an ignition problem listening to the video(spark-plug first), points/condenser possibly the magneto coil primary intermitantly shorting out somewhere. If you have an in-line spark tester or a timing light, see if this roughness coincides possibly with a spark dropout.BTW, what's up with that whacky muffer; I'd think think the Simplicity engineers would be raising an objective " eyebrow" over this one. Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">thank you... I will try the points and condenser next.. Any tips? BTW the muffler was on it when I bought it... Would like a stock muffler but haven't looked for one yet..

hamman01

When my Homelite T-16 H ran like that it ended up being the points set. Re adjusted the points and it runs fine now. I also put in a new spark plug. Good luck. Nice looking machine. Roger.

BLT

If the muffler works fine, however, the steady starp to the carb stud might raise havoc with the carb. What you can;t see are back and forth vibrations on that long stud that could eventually crack the carb body, When I don't know.