Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rickf

720/powermax Pivot Arm bearings - remove loader?

rickf

Hi

Sounds like my pivot arm bearings on the 720 are past. Also seems like to take the under guard sheet metal off, I have to remove the loader. Any tips or tricks for that effort next week? I already removed the belts etc so don't really want to redo that to drive it where I can hoist the loader etc.

Any other tips for removing the loader, or the bottom cover without removing the loader?

Thanks Rick

isetta

Rick a fellow poster here talked about using his jack stands with a length of smooth rod welded to them, in place of the Ark loader stands. I can't find that post or I would link it. Stock stands are shown below. I like the idea of hoisting the loader with a chain hoist etc myself but understand about not wanting to move the tractor. I am very interested in how you make out with this. I have an Ark 600 on an Allis 620 I recently purchased and have yet to take the loader off.If by pivot arm bearings you mean the "clutch" assembly bearings, I would want all the room I could to work from below when removing and re installing that assembly. The loader frame seems like it would get in the way majorly.

200792345220_loaderdismountstand1a.jpg

200792345220_loaderdismountstand1a.jpg.66af92d145df05070c0315f267abd3a5.jpg

rickf

Yeah, I don't have the stands, so any one who's removed the loader before without? I have the write up in the ark manual, but just wondering how it works in real life...

Thanks

isetta

Rick, did a little googling and see many guys using an A frame or similar and a chain hoist. Here's an intersting site showing use of portable scaffolding. The tractor article is intersting too.http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/s/v/svh1/images/Tractor/ARTICASE/Artic-Case.html

quote:Originally posted by rickf

Yeah, I don't have the stands, so any one who's removed the loader before without? I have the write up in the ark manual, but just wondering how it works in real life...Thanks

id="quote">
id="quote">

rickf

Not too bad, a dozen or so large bolts and you're away. I used a pair of farm jacks, not as secure as the factory lifts, but the thing will stand with only one in place, so... I left the pump attached, rolled it forward enough to have the jacks near the front tires, enough room to get under there. Pivot arm next...

If your tractor is running, I'd be tempted to park it under something that you could attach a come-along or hoist to, that'd make short work of it and feel more secure than the stands.