Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bad bearing

yukon

can anyone tell me if theres a bearing at the end of the bevel gear box, its real noisey but theres no slop in the gear box and do you have to take the gear box out to do it

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG.db4d648b81df77856727a05c25713a47.JPG

There is a freewheel bearing inside the pulley assembly. If it goes bad then it will get very noisy. It presses into the pulleys, but is allowed to slide on the BGB shaft so that the pulley/cone assembly can move left and right to engage and disengage. I have replaced three of these so far. You need to check it ASAP, because it can ruin the output shaft of the BGB if allowed to go very long after it fails. My first one was chewed up pretty bad. It took quite a bit of work to smooth the shaft so that the new bearing would move smoothly on the shaft again like it should.

There is a spring and bearing there. You do not need to pull the BGB. If memory serves there are Spring clips holding it to the shaft. Sould be a exploded parts diagram somewhere here.

IF the shaft is galled up you may want to trysmoothing then using JB Weld to fill gouges if needed. Father in-law did that when his went out.

If you are talking about the bearing being worn on one side, that just looks that way. I have brand new bearings hear that look like that. It is actually machined that way. It is for a locking collar on other applications.

That bearing (insert bearing) is used in pillow blocks with locking collars. Simplicity just had a bushing installed in the inner bore.

The main problem is if the inner bore of bearing gets worn. It will vibrate or wobble on the shaft and tear up the lining on the clutch plate. Those are $85

I meant the clutch plate is $85. The bearing in the pulley is $66.30, part number 1650254SM. If it is noisey, spins easy (dry bearing)or has wobble between the bearings and race, I would replace it or it will eventually eat up the clutch lining and the driven shaft. Then it gets expensive real fast.