Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ac.d17iv

Tiller help

ac.d17iv

Hi guys...

Sorry for a re-post, but I tried using the tiller this spring and I can't get the collar to stay next to the housing. I slide it on, tighten it and once I engage the PTO, it slides off. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

B110guy

It should have a dimple in it. Loosen the allen screw, slide it against the bearing and rotate it till it's snug. Take a good solid punch and hammer and give it a smack or two. Tighten the allen screw back up. Should stay better then. I re bearinged my 32" one this spring. Wasn't bad and I found a JD aftermarket bearing that was $12 instead of the $40 everyone else wanted for it. Got a roll of gasket material to make a new one. Wasn't a bad job.

B110guy

drbrian722

I'm in the middle of doing mine and it's not difficult after the tine shafts come off. But it is messy!

IMO, if you're going to do the bearings you should do the felt seals as well. Really, anything that's in that case that is even marginally "iffy" should be done to prevent having to dig into it again anytime soon.

I opened mine up for a busted chain, and I decided to do all three chains as well as the seals and a few odds and ends like missing zerk fittings. It went almost 30 years and I hope to not have to get into it again until 2044!

ac.d17iv

OK, finally had time to look at this again. I think I may have found my problem why the collar doesn't stay on. Doesn't the housing the collar tightens to look broken?

tiller.jpg

RayS

It looks chipped. That bearing is easily replaced without tearing the whole tiller apart and AG stores like TSC stock the bearing. The bearing will drive out of it`s flange or housing.

I replaced both mine that use that stamped steel bearing flange. They will go back in easily in a vice.