Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well this isn't good (more Broken)

GWGAllisfan

In my drive to find the available failure modes for the AC-712S design, I have found yet another.While trying to sneak in a quick mowing during a short period of non-rain this weekend, I kept feeling a odd vibration in the tractor, whenever the mower was engaged. Looked under it, no spindles blocked, nothing out of ordinary. Almost finished when it stopped mowing: Looked down and this was what I had;

Broken_PTO.jpg

Broken off right through the welds...I hope this is still available.Oh, yes, I was almost finished. Went to get the other tractor to finish, and battery dead.

Broken_PTO.jpg

I'm confused. What's the v-pulley doing there? That's bolted to the side plate, no?

I don't think you'll have too much of an issue finding the idler arm.

Gordan,

That's the PTO idler assembly from a Simplicity 7000 and AC 700 series tractors. It's different from the 7100/900 series. Both the flat and v pulleys both "swing". IMO, the 7100/900 series design is much better. (And the idler arms are different).

If the part is not available new, theres loads of parts guys on here who surely have some available. Just post an ad in the classifieds. I think there are several hanging on my wall even..

I have one on order. Now sliding the mower out and replacing it while laying on my back....to far away to see good without glasses, too close to see well with them....

I hope it was just fatigue, not symptom of any thing else...

Just curious, could a 7100 series one be adapted? Or are the sideplates different?

The PTO-side plate on the 7100 and later has a slot for the back idler bolt to slide in. You use that to adjust tension so that the flat idler arm is in the "green zone." I checked the parts diagrams and it appears that your sideplate has this slot, too, although for some reason it is not used? I would imagine that adapting 7100 parts should be as simple as getting those parts, but wait until someone who has both types of tractors chimes in. :-)

The stock left side plates are different, this is a pic of a 3400 series (same idler setup as 7000 series) side plate:

hydro_0005.jpg

vs a 7100 series side plate:

IMG_4788a.jpg

The conversion from 7000 series to 7100 is easy, but without welding or fabrication, you need a 7100 series side plate, idler arm, flat side idler and maybe V idler. If done, you don't need a front PTO to drive a snow blower.Someone on the site has converted without buying all the parts, but I think it was to allow a snow blower to be driven by the mid PTO.

hydro_0005.jpg.6db8f59f7ad6b8b9b09602e5edd4849f.jpg

IMG_4788a.jpg.c0f58624868f258b1d2378dcaf6c69d3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have replaced the PTO arm, but there is more trouble.

13791921000494.jpg

The center spindle13791920513062.jpg

Bottom edge of the adapter13791920826293.jpg

13791918995241.jpg

Top of adapter, see the egg shaped hole?The center spindle on the mower deck has wallowed out the adapter. This had happened before, and was replaced once before. The spindle and pullet was tight. The nut was so tight I could barely move it.This is a mystery why it's happened twice.I have the deck from the 7112 on there now,Hopefulle that will work for the rest of the mowing this year.

Thats pretty common as I have found to the older keyed type spindle assemblies on the pre 1976 mower decks. I've pretty much stuck with rebuilding decks that are newer , or replacing the spindle assemblies in the older decks using the newer split cup type with the splined shafts using the spacer rings that are now probably no longer available.

Any idea why this happpens?

It looks like the adapter wobbled in almost an oval. The wear is more pronounced at the top and bottom. It intuitively seems to me like bent or crooked spindles would product a different pattern, more like pully wear. This makes me think of a balance problem.

Is it too much over hung weight from the pulley? What about installing the adapter upside down to lower the center of gravity on the system?