Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
srwven

Adjust cone clutch?

srwven

Ok, I relined the old cone clutch after removing all the old glue/residual lining with a cheap leather belt from walmart. When I put it on, there is no way I can get it torqued to 70ft/lbs per the parts manual. If I tighten it even half way it just keeps the clutch engaged. So I put the old one back on. Even putting the old one back on, I couldn't torque it to 70, maybe 40 to keep it from engaging. Is there a way to adjust the pulleys so they go back further?

goatfarmer

The cone clutch assembly was messed up when I got my 3410 years ago. The stud protruding from the BGB shaft had snapped, and a PO WELDED the cone clutch to the shaft!

I ended up drilling a hole in the end of the shaft, and tapping it for a bolt. Had a problem similar to yours, clutch was always engaged. I was able to use a few washers as spacers, to move the clutch away from the hub. There is also adjustment on the engagement rod.

BLT

50 ft lbs for the belt engaged PTO and 60 ft lbs for clutch engaged PTO. Also new clutch lining is only 3/32", I believe. Any thicker would take away fron your clutch adjustment.

Brettw

There is a way for adjustment. If you use the engage disengage lever you will see how all of that moves and works, there is an adjustment nut on the linkage rod. Make sure you are "disengaged" when reassembling the clutch, or that will give you the problems you are describing too. Also, make sure the clip ring is properly in place. It is recommended to change it after servicing the clutch, and it is still available and cheap at the dealer.