Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Quickie paint job

SmilinSam

Wasnt going to paint this one, but...just couldnt resistTraded a welding stand/ clamp for this 917 and a worn 46" dozer blade minus the engine.Paint job is no professional quality by any means, just a clean up job basically. Only the top side surfaces that show were painted. Prep work was just a good thorough cleaning and some wire wheel on an angle grinder work to the rough spots.I put this tractor back together using the last of alot of my spare parts supply left from years of trading tractors and parts. Built to primarily to run the 38hd tiller that came from my kid who got it from Levi., that and the 5000 watt generator thats soon coming from another deal I made trading my super cub off. Got a hitch mount coming from Ray as the generator was without one.

DSCN0077_zpsbc3180df.jpg

DSCN0078_zps2d5d910f.jpg

DSCN0080_zps08071802.jpg

Used a really good 12 hp kohler that came from a $30 tractor I picked up a year ago for the rear lift. Engine just happened to be good other tha a bad charging system which I replaced with more parts from my supply.

DSCN0081_zpsd437d039.jpg

DSCN0079_zps3ac72ed7.jpg

Steering gear was messed up too. Thought it was a bad bearing from all the wobble in it, but what it was was that one bearing had slid all the way over too one side. My repair was to add two more needle bearings basically to take up space and keep them from shifting. Have no idea why it slid over.Pretty tight tractor all in all. Dont think its ever mowed grass or done anything but pushed snow. No wear to the cone clutch, the deck lift cable, clevis, or ay other normally worn parts on a 30 year old machine. Blade was worn clear down to the wear plate bolt holes though;)Serial #001061 probably makes this a 1979 tractor.How do you like the previous owners treatment to the steering wheel?:D

DSCN0072_zps18090c12.jpg

In addition to the 5000w generator, I also traded for a set of DMI 23x8.50x12 dual wheels with new ag treads on em. Those will be goin on this tractor, at least the inside pair will be on all the time with the duals on for shows..dOd

GLPointon

Nice looking job Sam...should be an awesome worker! That tiller is a beast, very cool...and the foot controled Hydrolift too 8D

I've always been a Briggs guy but I now have 3 Kohlers a 10, 12 & 16 and they all run very smooth...and no belt sm01

Sign in to follow this